Software Development Fellow
Babban Gona Farmer Services
About the organization
Babban Gona (“Great Farm”) is a rapidly scaling social enterprise, with a mission to serve the bottom of the pyramid and transform agriculture into a job creation engine for unemployed youth. We do this by offering a suite of services to rural, smallholder farmers, helping them to overcome the challenges of fragmentation and low economies of scale. Our services include providing financial credit, low-cost high quality inputs, ongoing training on best agronomy practices, and providing storage and marketing services to maximize farmers’ profits. In 8 years, BG has helped over 65,000 smallholder farmers increase their productivity by 2x the national average and profitability by 2.5x to 3x the national average. Our goal is to serve 1,000,000 smallholder farmers in 2025.
To achieve our goal of reaching 1 million Smallholder farmers in 2025, we must scale through tech. We currently have a small software development team that has worked hard on digitizing our dayto-day operations including farmer member recruitments, input distribution, growing /planting activities, harvest activities. The team has built solid v1.0 mobile apps that has enabled us move away from paper and pencil operations. We want to get even better. Our Software Development Fellow will work with the team to improve our current suite of mobile apps and ensure we are using best practices in coding, documentation and testing. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Expertise in android and light web development. Some familiarity with scripting will also be required.
● Analyse user requirements and envision system functionality based on user needs
● Work with end-users to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction
● Build applications with minimal bug issues out of the gate.
● Design solutions that interact with other business applications in a seamless way
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Information Management, Mathematics or any other STEM subject field.
● At least 2 years’ experience in software development and familiarity with the software development life cycle (analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and execution models (Agile, Iterative Development, etc.).
● Ability to develop Android apps using any framework desired.
● Understanding of databases, with proficiency in SQL.
● Familiarity with build tools such as mobile UI design, unit test and debugging skills and code versioning tools (Git).
● Obsessive attention to detail.
● Good initiative, positive attitude and a constant willingness to learn.
● Passionate, driven individual with an ability to achieve results through teamwork and collaborative approaches.
● Minimum of two (2) years' full-time work experience
● Fluency in written and spoken English
● Adaptability and openness to feedback
● Empathy and motivation to understand others’ perspectives and views
● Available for 12 - 24 month volunteer commitment, based in Lagos, Nigeria
Contact email: [email protected]
We welcome applications to our Fellows Program on a rolling basis and will match candidate skills and interests with business requirements. Applications will be processed and candidates interviewed as new opportunities emerge. While individual preferences are taken into account, offers to join the Babban Gona Fellows Program are subject to project needs at the time of application.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter expressing how your background has prepared you to make significant contributions as a BG Fellow with subject line: BG Fellows Program [Finance].
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply