Skilled Construction Worker/Volunteer Supervisor
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville
About the organization
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville (HFHGN) is an ecumenical Christian ministry that provides homeownership opportunities for working men and women who are unable to qualify for a traditional mortgage loan and operates retail stores that sell donated home and office furnishings and building supplies to the public.
This is a field based construction position responsible for assisting the agency Construction (Staff and Volunteer) Manager in the successful completion of all agency construction activities including the construction of homes. This job requires working with the construction staff at ensuring the construction site is orderly, safe, organized and represents HFHGN in a positive manner at all times. Assist the Construction Manager with the daily management of volunteers and all other construction field operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
• Strong scheduling, organizational and reporting skills
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle and construction equipment
• Must have a clean driving record for insurance purposes
• Ability to lift up to 50-80lbs
• A good working knowledge of residential construction trades, tools and methods including but not limited to: carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, siding, roofing, flooring, trim, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and appropriate energy efficient trade practices.
• Ability to work professionally, effectively and efficiently with multiple municipal departments and public officials
• Strong and effective communication skills and the ability to work with and train others with variable levels of construction skill. Also required is the ability to speak to volunteers publicly on the construction site
Construction experience is preferred. Must have the ability to lead volunteers to construct house components i.e. wall panels, fly rafters, porch beams etc. Good work and business ethics. Must be a proven self-starter with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment. Individual must be organized and capable of good task follow-up. Must have the ability to relate to people of different races, faiths, and incomes. Must have a solid understanding of building codes and inspections and be capable of maintaining a positive relationship with building inspectors and local officials.
• High school degree required
• Previous residential construction experience preferred
Contact email: [email protected]
Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job