Service Learning Program Manager
About the organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement.
In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.2 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line. Moreover, 98% of buildOn students graduate high school, and most go on to college.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1500 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal.
buildOn seeks an experienced and committed Service Learning Program Manager to manage and directly lead activities of buildOn’s Service Learning Program at one partner high school. The goal is to achieve the buildOn mission of breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education. This is measured by KPI targets which ensure we are driving student outcomes. In doing so, the Service Learning Program Manager directly manages a Service Learning Program Coordinator and works very closely with team members and students to implement the buildOn program at a partner a high school. This role is a combination of directly engaging students in programming and supervising one staff member. Program activities are conducted in partnership with students and not for students in order to foster the development of constructive leaders. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner our courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited through service!
Reporting to the Program Director of a region, the Service Learning Program Manager will be a key leader of the U.S. program team. S/he must be a strategic and mission-driven leader with the ability to effectively balance a strong vision and commitment to methodology. The Service Learning Program Manager partners closely with school administrators and faculty, as well as community partners to develop excellent service opportunities with students.
What You Bring
● Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, and the world
● Committed to buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion
● Belief in the power of students to develop as Constructive Leaders through service
● Extensive experience leading and participating in service-learning (2-4 years)
● Proven record of effective nonprofit program management, including but not limited to achieving high-quality results and managing staff performance (1-2 years)
● Excellent skills to build relationships with staff, students, school administrators and faculty, and community partners
● Recognize the benefit of connecting people through immersive experiences to break down barriers and grow as constructive leaders
● Organized and disciplined with time to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
● Strong communicator
● Driven to achieve goals
● Excel to adapt in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
● Functional knowledge of regional school district(s) and educational and nonprofit landscape
● Extensive experience living and/or working in underserved communities
● Relevant educational background (Bachelor’s degree required)
Contact email: [email protected]
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply