Service Learning Program Coordinator
About the organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement.
In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.2 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line. Moreover, 98% of buildOn students graduate high school, and most go on to college.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1500 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal.
buildOn seeks an experienced and committed Service Learning Program Coordinator. The Service Learning Program Coordinator leads all activities of buildOn’s Service Learning Program at one partner high school to achieve the buildOn mission of breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education. This is measured by KPI targets which ensure we are driving student outcomes. In doing so, the Service Learning Program Coordinator partners closely with student leaders, buildOn staff, school personnel and local community partners to develop excellent service opportunities for students. Program activities are conducted in partnership with students and not for students in order to foster the development of constructive leaders. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner our courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited.
The Service Learning Program Coordinator works closely with colleagues to plan and execute regional program events. The Service Learning Program Coordinator also leads recruitment and support of students for Immersions (Trek, 36 Hours, and Partnership program) as well as special events, and fund development opportunities in collaboration with other departments.
This is a great opportunity for a mission-driven team player who enjoys working with people and overseeing programs. If you have a history of leading successful teams with measurable results, then
● Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, and the world
● buildOn Alumni preferred (indicate buildOn Alumni status in the application, if applicable)
● Committed to buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion
● Belief in the power of students to develop as Constructive Leaders through service
● Extensive experience living and/or working in underserved communities
● Extensive experience leading and/or participating in service-learning (1-2 years)
● Experience working in mission-centered nonprofit programs
● Track record of professional and personal achievement
● Invested in continual growth and learning through ongoing discovery, planning and execution, and reflection
● Excellent skills to build relationships with students, school faculty and staff, and community partners
● Organized and disciplined with time to effectively accomplish multiple projects simultaneously
● Exceptional communicator
● Driven to achieve goals
● Excel to adapt in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
● Functional knowledge of regional school district(s) and educational and nonprofit landscape
● Relevant educational background (Bachelor’s degree required)
Contact email: [email protected]
Please Submit Resume and Cover Letter
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job