Senior Web Developer
The Pacific Community (SPC)
About the organization
Senior Web Developer - Statistics for Development Division
Attractive expatriate package
Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) invites applications for the position of Senior Web Developer within its Statistics for Development Division. This position will be located at its headquarters in Noumea, New Caledonia.
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Statistics for Development Division (SDD) is based in SPC’s headquarter in Noumea, New Caledonia. The division employs approximately 20 staff all of whom are all based in Noumea. SDD’s goal is to strengthen the capacity of Pacific Island Countries and Territories (PICTs) national statistical systems by providing technical support through coordination with technical partners and donors. As part of SDD’s role and functions, it has adopted a regional statistical system leadership and coordination role as well as strengthening its technical assistance and support to data collection, analysis and dissemination.
The role – the Senior Web Developer will manage web site development and server administration for SDD and the Pacific Data Hub (PDH), as well as providing expert advice and support to other SPC divisions, partners and national counterparts.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
1. Web development and integration
• Manage and maintain the SDD website
• Design and implement web interfaces to connect to the PDH.stat (SDMX) data portal (via API), incorporating plugins and visualisations where necessary
• Develop customisations for the PDH Microdata Library (NADA) where necessary
• Develop plugins for Drupal v8 and Wordpress
• Scope, manage and develop new projects, coordinating with external vendors where required
2. Web server administration and management
• Manage the docker container environment for PDH.stat (.Stat Suite) staging and production servers
• Collaborate with and contribute to .Stat Suite ATF (Architecture Task Force)
• Manage a range of server environments (Azure, Cloudways, Vultr)
• Manage all docker container based Survey Solution servers for SPC-related projects and member PICTs.
• Provide Drupal, Wordpress (multisite environment) and Joomla server maintenance.
• Manage all PopGIS cloud applications
• Manage Microdata Library (NADA) server
3. Technical assistance and training to National Statistics Offices and partners
• Provide ongoing support to sustain effective data dissemination through improvements of national Statistics Office websites
• Regularly mentor Web Developers/Data Dissemination Specialists in PICTs
• Design and undertake regional workshops, attachments and in-country training to support the professional development of Pacific Island Web Developers and Dissemination Specialists including in Drupal/Joomla/ Wordpress
• Project manage websites and dashboards associated with the Pacific Data Hub which are external to SDD
4. Contributing to SDD System Leader function/external stakeholder engagement, partnership and collaboration
• Provide expert advice and support to other SPC divisions, development partners and national counterparts
• Regularly engage with users of SDD and SPC web-based dissemination systems to ensure user needs are being met
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
• Degree in computer science or a related subject
• Professional technical/qualifications in software development and maintenance
2. Technical expertise
• A minimum of eight to ten years of demonstrated experience in implementation of medium- to large-scale web and desktop applications with a strong emphasis on standards and data exchange via API
• At least eight years of demonstrated experience developing and managing Drupal, Wordpress and Joomla CMS’s (including the development of plugins to connect to external APIs)
• Experience working with large relational databases such as SQL Server and MySQL
• Experience as a system administrator for cloud-based software solutions
• Experience working in a web-based data dissemination environment
• Excellent project management skills – particularly in dealing with complex client IT/web requests/ expectations
• Experience managing external vendors
3. Language skills
• English language proficiency
4. Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
• Good interpersonal skills, team player with ability to network and effectively work in a multicultural setting, and with other agencies in the region involved in statistical work
• Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted until the 31st of December 2022 and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – the Senior Web Developer is a band 10 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 3,490-4,267 per month, which converts to approximately XPF 510,921-624,563 (USD 4,852-5,931; EUR 4,282-5,234). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
XPF 510,921-624,563 (USD 4,852-5,931; EUR 4,282-5,234)
Closing date: 24 October 2021 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: SH000098
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
• an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
• a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
• responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Screening questions (maximum of 2.000 characters per question):
1. Describe your direct experience in a successfully developing a web project and in successfully developing/managing a server administration project (include web links if available). What were the critical success factors in these projects?
2. In your opinion what constitutes a good web-site? How would you suggest the SDD web-site (https://sdd.spc.int/) and the Tonga Statistics Office website (https://tongastats.gov.to/) could be improved?
3. Describe the steps you follow when you start a new web development project?
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job