Senior Program Assistant: Southeast Asia
National Democratic Institute
About the organization
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Senior Program Assistant to join its Asia-Pacific team in the Washington, DC office, and contribute to the planning, designing and implementation of programs on strengthening civil society, enhancing democratic governance, enhancing women's and other marginalized groups' political participation, and strengthening political parties. This position will support NDI's work in Southeast Asia - primarily Malaysia, Indonesia, and Cambodia programs. (The Program Officer will be part of a Southeast Asia subteam supporting the Institute's programs for Myanmar / Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, and Malaysia.) The portfolio is subject to change based on programmatic and funding needs.
• Under close supervision, creates or makes substantial contributions to drafts of proposals, concept papers, donor reports, memos, program updates, work plans, and newsletter articles;
• Monitors political events throughout the region;
• Creates initial drafts of budgets; monitors program spending (in conjunction with field office and program supervisor); performs basic analysis and projection of financial status and reports on that status;
• Provides administrative and logistical support to field offices and regional staff; oversees logistics needs of assigned region, including contracts, travel, and other program-related tasks and activities;
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field; graduate degree preferred;
• Minimum of two (2) years experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigning, organizational development or legislative affairs; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis;
• Experience living and working overseas, preferably in the Asia region;
• High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, US and foreign government personnel and NGO community;
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job