Senior Manager/Director, Communications
Sabin Vaccine Institute
About the organization
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization. Sabin staff, management and Board of Trustees are committed to developing a diverse, equitable and inclusive team.
The Director, Communications is responsible for project management, regular promotion of Sabin and its programs, and developing and managing the editorial calendar. Under the leadership of the Vice President, Communications, the Director will also develop and manage project budgets and staff/resource allocations.
Management and Timelines
• Hire, supervise, mentor, coach and train Communications Team members as assigned, supporting skills and professional development
• Regularly assess Communications Team workloads, adjusting resources and sourcing and managing vendors/freelancers as needed
• Ensure communications projects are delivered in accordance with SmartSheet timelines and within budget
• Lead in development and implementation of onboarding plans for new Communications staff
• Manage vendor contracts and payments
• Plan and conduct regular team meetings
Editorial Planning and Review
• Develop and manage editorial calendar of communications-related activities across Sabin for the year ahead, including publications, project and organizational milestones, events and global health days
• Review and edit written content produced by Communications Team, program teams and leadership for accuracy, writing quality, organizational messaging and conformity to A.P. Style
• Circulate written content for team and executive review and incorporate feedback from multiple editors
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as communications, marketing, public health, journalism, English, public relations; Master’s degree in a related field preferred
• Minimum 9 years relevant experience
• Strong people management and interpersonal skills; excellent at working closely with others over geographical distance
• Budget oversight and decision-making experience
• Ability to support strategic development and execution
• Experience working with cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated experience running integrated online campaigns, including email, website, blogs and social media required
• Demonstrated project management skills, including use of project management software required
• Exceptional writing skills with an ability to distill complex issues into compelling messaging targeting a variety of audiences
• Familiarity with A.P. Style a plus
• Some experience with HTML, digital asset creation and archiving required
• Proven experience as an active social media participant with demonstrated ability to engage stakeholders and partners
• Skill in tracking and analyzing digital metrics to measure communications performance required
• Experience in researching, reading and distilling scientific information a plus
Contact email: [email protected]
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, writing sample and resume via e-mail. Reference “Senior Manager/Director, Communications” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Your cover letter should: 1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; 2) describe your unique knowledge, skills and experience that you would bring to the role; and, 3) describe your experience in developing a high performance team. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job