Senior Director, Business Development
About the organization
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary changemakers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. We help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and prioritizes ethics.
About the Opportunity
DataKind seeks a Senior Director who will lead the Business Development team and grow the organization’s fundraising program. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Director will be a member of the senior leadership team and will also play an important role in our tenth anniversary planning and execution. The Senior Director will craft the development strategy to grow and diversify financial support for DataKind’s $5.5 million annual operating budget. The Senior Director will be responsible for leading the creation and implementation of the development strategy; coaching senior leadership, the Board and volunteers in cultivating donors; and representing DataKind externally. Collaborating with teams across DataKind, the Senior Director will build and advance relationships with corporate, foundation, and individual donors. The Senior Director will manage and coach a Sr. Partnerships Manager, Individual Giving Lead, and Business Development Associate.
This is an ideal opportunity for a proven and values-driven nonprofit fundraiser who has management experience and a track record of securing major gifts.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in fundraising or donor relations
• Minimum of 4 years in a leadership/management role securing funds directly
• Expertise in donor strategy and best practices, including designing and implementing organization-wide fundraising programs to identify, qualify and engage diverse constituents through to acquisition (major donors, foundations, corporations, and prospects at all levels)
• Proven track record of creating and implementing a comprehensive development strategy that met or exceeded its objectives for either a region or entire organization
• Track record of personally soliciting 6-figure gifts from individuals as well as institutional partnerships
• Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally
• Strong familiarity with philanthropic communities across the United States
• Passion for the mission, values and goals of DataKind
• Prior experience in data, technology, global health, or economic equity and opportunity a plus
• Relevant coursework in fundraising or donor relations a plus
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job