Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
About the organization
Seed Analyst #00017 - Richmond (Laboratory & Research Specialist I, Pay Band 3)
The Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Office of Plant Industry Services, is seeking a qualified individual to work in the Seed Laboratory. This position involves the scientific analysis and testing of seeds through the laboratory tests and other procedures to determine compliance with the Virginia Seed Law, the Federal Seed Act, the rules and regulations of the Association of Official Seed Analysts (AOSA), and the Virginia Certified Seed Program administered by the Virginia Crop Improvement Association. The successful candidate will perform laboratory testing in purity and germination to ensure truth-in-labeling for commercial seed lots and also labeling analysis for Virginia growers for the marketing of their seed products.
- Working knowledge of various kinds of seeds and the types of possible contaminants depending on the origin of the seed as well as knowledge of testing procedures used to evaluate planting quality.
- Ability to follow prescribed laboratory policy and the ability to interpret, apply and explain complex standards set by state and federal seed laws and regulations.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Ability to concentrate and focus on work for extended periods of time; work with limited supervision; and have effective customer service and oral/written communication skills.
- This position requires good manual dexterity; working with small seeds using microscopes and small instruments such as tweezers therefore, the ability to manipulate small seeds and seedlings is essential. This position involves working around peanuts, wheat, dust, pesticides and fungicide treated seeds.
- H.S. diploma/GED required.
- Degree in biology, agronomy, horticulture or a related agricultural science.
- Basic knowledge of agricultural crops grown in Virginia and working knowledge of AOSA Rules for Testing Seeds is also preferred.
Hiring Salary Range: $25,718 - $42,000 annually.
Selected candidate must successfully complete a fingerprint-based criminal background check.
To be considered for this position, you must complete a state application through the on-line employment system at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/ by 11:59 p.m. on March 16, 2018. VDACS only accepts the state application; therefore the application must be detailed and fully completed. Resumes, cover letters, or any other types of attachment or supplement to the state application are not accepted. Not submitting a complete or detailed application may result in non-consideration.
For more information or assistance you may contact the Human Resources Office, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, 102 Governor Street, Room 248, Richmond, VA 23219; Telephone: (804) 371-8066; Hearing Impaired 1-800-828-1120; E-mail [email protected]. VDACS is an equal opportunity employer & encourages candidates with disabilities to apply.
$25,718 - $42,000/year
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job