SCA GulfCorps Prescribed Fire Corps Crew Leader
The Student Conservation Association
About the organization
Founded in 1957 by Liz Putnam, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Our mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Preservation Fire Corps.
Program Dates: January – May 2020
Training Dates: January 2020
Locations: Perdido, AL and Bristol, FL
Under supervision of The Nature Conservancy, the crew will conduct prescribed burns, prepare fire lines, and complete other conservation tasks. The leader will work and live with a crew of 4-5 members (18+) that have completed at least one season as a GulfCorps member. These crew members will come from diverse backgrounds and may not have fire experience. In addition to having strong conservation work skills, we are looking for a leader that is emotionally mature and can motivate and inspire crew members.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
• Current Red Card certification with 1 – 2 years of fire and ecological land management experience;
• Experience managing crews of young adults in an outdoor setting and working with environmental agencies to plan and complete a project;
• Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and eﬃcient manner (e.g. chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.);
• Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation;
• Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s);
• Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers); and
• Clear communication via written, spoken and graphical means.
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age;
• Must have ability to legally work in the US;
• Valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards required;
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards;
• Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: Jan 2020;
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training;
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
$650/week total salary; Housing and food are provided.
Contact email: [email protected]
To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. This is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted. SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job