SCA GulfCorps Conservation Crew Leader
The Student Conservation Association
About the organization
Founded in 1957 by Liz Putnam, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Our mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for our GulfCorps program.
Program Dates: September 2019 – June 2020 (tentative)
Training Dates: September 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
As Crew Leader, you will be working with a co-lead to guide and inspire a team of eight young adults from the Mobile, AL area. The crew will be working on projects such as invasive species removal, habitat restoration, and boardwalk and trail work in various sites along coastal Alabama. Project monitoring and data collection will also be required throughout the season.
Preference will be given to applicants that have:
• Experience managing teams of at-risk youth or young adults [18+] in an outdoor setting;
• Strong conservation work skills or related skills, specifically trail maintenance and construction, chainsaw, carpentry, data collection, and environmental monitoring;
• Experience working independently and in a team setting to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner; and
• Effective communication and conﬂict resolution skills and/or training.
• Be a minimum of 21 years of age;
• Have ability to legally work in the US;
• Have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards required;
• Have the ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements, and occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more;
• Meet SCA’s criminal background check standards;
• Attend mandatory Crew Leader training: Sept 2019 (dates TBD); and
• Have personal housing arrangements in the program area.
Compensation: $650/week total salary; benefits eligible (health, dental, vision, retirement, PTO, paid holidays).
Contact email: [email protected]
To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. This is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted. SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job