SBP AmeriCorps - Disaster Corps Project Lead
About the organization
SBP is a disaster relief nonprofit dedicated to shrinking the time between disaster and recovery. Started in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the organization is currently supporting recovery in eight disaster-affected communities. Through a partnership with AmeriCorps, we are hiring people to do a 10-month term of national service in an office or construction role. No construction experience required. Benefits include a living stipend, Education Award, and health insurance.
Project Lead Essential Functions:
● Interact effectively and positively with other team members, volunteers, clients and partners.
● Actively participate in construction projects.
● Perform strenuous, physical labor in different climates, over long periods of time.
Serving on Deployment; Essential Functions:
● Must commit to be available to travel within 24-48 hours’ notice and have the availability to deploy for 30 or more days
● In the event of a large-scale disaster, Disaster Corps members may be transferred to the impacted geography to support longer-term relief until an SBP operating site is fully functioning in the community.
● Provide immediate and long-term relief in areas impacted by natural disaster including but not limited to: basic needs assessments, volunteer coordination, client coordination, supply and donations
management, debris removal, mucking and gutting homes, and any additional critical needs identified.
● Conduct disaster response and preparedness trainings for communities and other national service
● Provide effective training and constructive feedback to volunteers
All candidates must be at least 17 years of age or older.
● At least five members of the Disaster Corps must be satisfying the following requirements
○ Satisfy a Motor Vehicle/Driver History Check showing:
■ Class C driver’s license in good standing
■ Must be 21 years or older
■ 21 and 22-year olds must have clean driving record
○ For candidates 23 and older, the following applies:
■ No more than two moving violations in last 3 years
■ No DWI/DUI in last 5 years
■ No major violations in the last 5 years
● Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
● Satisfy the National Service Criminal History Check eligibility criteria pursuant to 45 CFR 2540.202.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job