Safety & Security Specialist
About the organization
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS seeks a Safety & Security Specialist to support the Safety & Security department in developing and maintaining safety and security programs, plans, policies and procedures within HIAS’ global and domestic offices. The preferred candidate is passionate about HIAS’ mission and has a demonstrated interest in international development and professional/academic experience in international relations, international security, humanitarian contexts or similar. S/he works as part of a small team delivering best practices in safety and security risk management for HIAS staff, assets, and programming in the United States and internationally.
• Helps develop reports to share with HIAS about the efficiency of security policies and recommends changes, as necessary.
• Works with Safety & Security department to ensure that all security systems are current with software or hardware changes within HIAS.
• Assists in documenting all security related information that may be relevant for HIAS’ programming.
• Works with Safety & Security team to implement and train staff on proper security measures, globally; coordinates and facilitates training, as necessary.
• Conducts research to produce assessments and analysis on regions and countries HIAS is working in or planning on working in.
• Stays abreast of regulatory safety and security standards in operational locations.
• Assists in the implementation and supports compliance with safety and security related policies.
• Undergraduate degree in Development Studies, International Affairs, Security, Terrorism, or other relevant field; similar degree at graduate level, preferred.
• Excellent communication and written and oral briefing skills.
• A minimum of 1-2 years of experience working in the humanitarian space, preferably overseas.
• Fluency in English required; fluency in Spanish and/or French strongly preferred.
• Background in safety and security management; experience of risk assessment, incident reporting, incident mapping, information collation and analysis, and security technology is a plus.
• Overseas work experience in insecure and/or hostile environments a plus.
• Ability to travel up to 20% to country offices often to complex and insecure working environments is required.
• Experience with data management tools including data visualization software highly desired.
• Excellent writing, research, and organizational ability.
• Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to our website: https://www.hias.org/who/career-and-internship-opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job