Resource Navigator - AmeriCorps Upstate Team Member
United Way of Greenville County - AmeriCorps Upstate
About the organization
AmeriCorps is national program; our local branch focuses on helping people on the road to financial stability. AmeriCorps believes in getting things done. United Way of Greenville County sponsors our local grant and partners with United Ways in surrounding counties to place members at nonprofit partner sites.
We are developing a dynamic team of 23 service-minded, results-driven candidates who will provide direct financial stability services to low-income individuals and families throughout the Upstate of SC, leading them into economic mobility. AmeriCorps Members accomplish this by serving 1700 hours with a partner site over the course of the year. Members will coach clients in ways to increase their personal income, build savings, and gain and sustain assets.
As an AmeriCorps Upstate member, you will be trained to provide financial stability programs and services to the community, including but not limited to:
• Resource Navigation | Case management, crisis assistance, benefit applications through Thrive Hub, and connecting individuals and families with community resources
• Financial Literacy | Teaching financial literacy to people individually or in a classroom setting
• VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance | Providing free tax preparation services in the community
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Selected candidates will be matched with host organizations in a variety of positions available in Greenville, Laurens, Anderson, and Pickens counties. AmeriCorps Members will serve from August 17, 2020 through July 31, 2021. This includes a mandatory two-week orientation provided by program staff from United Way of Greenville County, our grant holder.
Full-time members are eligible for a $14,279 living stipend (annual), health coverage benefits, childcare benefits, and federal student loan forbearance during term. Upon successful completion of a service term, members are eligible for payment of accrued interest on eligible federal loans, and a $6,195 education award toward continued education or student loan repayment. All members are provided with mileage reimbursement, skill building opportunities, and professional development trainings.
• Have a high school diploma or equivalent
• Serve full-time (36-40 hours / week) to reach 1700 service hours by end of term
• Work directly with clients
• Pass three criminal history checks
• Attend a two-week orientation
• Earn advanced IRS certification for VITA preparation
• Some nights and weekends expected during tax season (January – April)
• Submit timesheets weekly
• Track program measure data
• Be able to use a computer and Microsoft Office programs
• Some travel required (~10-30% based on position)
• Be at least 18 years old at start of service
• Be a U.S. Citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien
Contact email: [email protected]
Our application opens in the spring of each year and stays open until all positions are filled or for one month after orientation, whichever occurs first. If our application is not currently open, send your résumé to us at [email protected]
1) When the application is live, create an account on the nationwide MyAmeriCorps portal: https://my.americorps.gov/
2) Complete and save a general team member application
3) Submit your completed application to our specific listing (AmeriCorps Upstate) here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=51075
For technical assistance, reach out to the National Service Hotline at 1-800-942-2677.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job