Resident Director: Kyrgyzstan
National Democratic Institute
About the organization
The National Democratic Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization working to support and strengthen democratic institutions worldwide through citizen participation, openness and accountability in government. Since its founding in 1983, NDI has worked with local partners in 130 countries and territories, bringing together individuals and groups to share ideas, knowledge, experiences and expertise. Partners receive broad exposure to best practices in international democratic development that can be adapted to the needs of their own countries. NDI’s multinational approach reinforces the message that while there is no single democratic model, certain core principles are shared by all democracies. The Institute’s work upholds the principles enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Resident Director, Kyrgyzstan
NDI seeks a Resident Director to be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan to manage and implement democracy assistance programs to promote political party and parliamentary development, constituent relations by national and local elected officials, and political participation through grassroots organization and advocacy as well as citizen oversight by nongovernmental organizations. The Resident Director will serve as NDI's primary in-country representative to host and donor government officials as well as local partner organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Designs and oversees the implementation of program activities.
• Provides day-to-day leadership, professional development, and management of in-country staff.
• Identifies and maintains collaborative relationships with local partner organizations, representatives of the host government and the diplomatic community, donor institutions, other democratic development organizations, and the media.
• Provides regular written reports on program activities and analysis of related political developments to the DC office.
• Contributes to the planning, design and evaluation of NDI Kyrgyzstan projects in collaboration with local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a field of study related to political science, international development, or international affairs;
• Minimum fourteen (14) years substantive political practitioner experience, with particular emphasis in local/national legislatures, issue-based civic advocacy, grassroots organizing, training and leadership development within political parties, election campaigns, or politically active non-governmental organizations, and/or mobilizing historically underrepresented populations;
• Experience in evidence-based program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation. Previous experience managing USAID- and DfID-funded democratic development programs strongly preferred;
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community;
• Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor and consultant;
• Strong personnel management and professional development skills;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; facility with Russian and/or Turkic languages a plus;
NDI is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/r33y54gfh2xgpz29
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job