Research Technician – Infectious Disease Drug Discovery
About the organization
Trudeau Institute, an internationally acclaimed, path-breaking research institute focused on alleviating the continuing burden of infectious disease, has an immediate opening for a research technician in the Innovative Therapeutics Group. The institute hosts multi-disciplinary research devoted to translating the advances of basic science into new strategies to meet today’s urgent infectious disease challenges, collaborating with partners from academic and governmental biomedical laboratories, the biotech and pharmaceutical industries, and major global health focused foundations.
Trudeau Institute is in an affordable, small-town environment amidst the beautiful Adirondack Mountains in Northern New York State with abundant recreational opportunities. Institute maintained housing is available. We offer competitive salaries along with a robust benefits package (including health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and a generous employer retirement contribution).
The successful candidate will have wet lab experience in microbiology, biochemistry, and/or molecular biology, which they will apply to develop and optimize biochemical assays of drug efficacy, as well as to construct genetically engineered mycobacterial strains with utility in mechanism of action determination and target identification. We seek a detail-oriented team member who enthusiastically engages in shared tasks and has a drive to advance their knowledge, with demonstrated skill in planning, prioritizing, and executing projects to meet commitments. Experience with preclinical animal models and cell culture is desirable.
• Apply microbiology and molecular biology techniques to genetically engineer microbes for target deconvolution and recombinant protein expression.
• Express and purify recombinant proteins from various bacterial pathogens for in vitro biochemical assays to determine small molecule inhibitor efficacy.
• Mammalian and bacterial cell culture, and preparation of viral stocks using aseptic culture techniques, transformation, transduction, infection and viability assays.
• Record and analyze data, as well as write and present reports on research findings.
• After required training, conduct some studies in a biosafety level 3 (BSL3) environment.
• Assist in studies of antimicrobial efficacy in mouse models of mycobacterial disease.
• Preparation of growth media, solutions, and laboratory supplies.
• Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in biological sciences or related discipline.
Contact email: [email protected]
The Institute is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer encouraging women, individuals with disabilities, minorities, and veterans to apply.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to Kelsey Stanton, Human Resource Manager, Trudeau Institute, Inc. 154 Algonquin Avenue Saranac Lake, NY 12983 Fax (518) 891-5126 [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply