Public Programs Coordinator
Smithsonian American Art Museum and Renwick Gallery
About the organization
Do you love art museums, and value the chance to make an impact in programming for visitors of all ages and backgrounds? Come grow your skills in a supportive team environment at the Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM) and Renwick Gallery, home to one of the largest and most inclusive collections of American art in the world. Housed in two historic buildings in the heart of Washington, D.C., SAAM and the Renwick are part of the Smithsonian Institution. The museums welcome more than 2 million visitors annually, including local school groups, regional residents, and national and international tourists.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conceiving, executing, and implementing interpretive public programs from initial proposal through program close-out. Programs are offered in conjunction with the permanent collections, exhibitions, and scholarly activities of the museum. The incumbent reports directly to the Manager of Public Programs.
Concept & Proposals
• Conceives and prepares detailed proposals for a variety of creative, intellectual, engaging, and inspiring programs and audiences including lectures, artists’ talks and demonstrations, family days, tours, film series and other events.
Program Development & Logistics
• Plans and implements arrangements for funded programs including physical space, staffing, contractors and materials required.
• Makes specific recommendations for audience development and prepares or assists with promotion.
• Initiates and monitors procurement of technical and performances services for public programs and ensures their timely completion. Keeps accurate records of program expenditures and monitors status of budgets.
• Drafts and prepares text, captions, biographic, and other assets and materials as needed. Collaboratively develops graphic materials for public programs, including signage, printed programs, postcards, and specialized tickets required for promotion and direction.
Presentation & Follow-Through
• Oversees on-site program logistics, introduces programs and participants and resolves problems that may arise
1. Proven experience in developing public programs with an emphasis on art history, culture, performing arts, or other community engagement content
2. Proven experience, education or training in the procedures for planning and producing informal and formal education and/or public engagement programs in a museum or other educational or cultural setting
3. Proven experience in implementing a comprehensive education, performing arts, or public engagement program that encompasses multiple learning levels and diverse constituencies
4. Proven experience creating and adhering to program budgets
5. Proven experience in developing, writing, and producing written materials
6. Knowledge of evaluative strategies, methodologies, and practices, including performing data collection and data analysis activities
GS-9; $57,510 annual; Promotion potential to GS-11
Contact email: [email protected]
To apply, send a cover letter, Description of Service, and resume that explains your qualifications for the job.
Submit to, [email protected], Subject Line should read: Public Programs Coordinator Application
Smithsonian is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply