Public Affairs Specialist – Writer/Editor
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health
About the organization
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Office of the Secretary (OS), Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH). The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health oversees the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ key public health offices and programs, a number of Presidential and Secretarial advisory committees, 10 regional health offices across the nation, and the Office of the Surgeon General and the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. OASH is committed to leading America to healthier lives.
This particular position is located in the Office of Minority Health (OMH) and its mission is reducing health disparities among racial and ethnic minority populations.
The primary focus of this position is to provide writing and communications support to advance the public health priorities of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Minority Health, including but not limited to Opioids, Sickle Cell Disease, Maternal Health, Physical Activity, HIV, and adoption of Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services.
D UTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The individual will be responsible for helping to shape the messaging to support the programs, policies and priorities identified by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for OMH as part of the OMH Division of Information and Education. Specific responsibilities include:
• Plans, develops, and communicates the organization’s programs, policies, and activities.
• Writes and edits speeches, presentations, talking points, blogs, news releases
• Conducts research for producing written materials
• Writes copy for marketing and communications collateral materials from infographics to fact sheets to social media graphics
• Helps develop and execute OMH communications and marketing campaigns
• Reviews reports, briefs and other documents produced by OMH divisions and leadership and provides guidance and support on OMH messaging
• Participates in executing OMH social media strategy, from drafting posts to monitoring Twitter for intelligence, news, and general market awareness
• Drafts content for internal OMH communications
• Actively contributes to communications strategy sessions and regular team meetings
Motivated individuals who have a proactive work style and an interest in in strategic communications. Candidates should have strong writing and editing skills as well as the ability to juggle multiple tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply