Program Officer, IIE Scholar Rescue Fund
IIE Scholar Rescue Fund
About the organization
The Institute of International Education's Scholar Rescue Fund (IIE-SRF) is the only global program that arranges and funds fellowships for threatened and displaced scholars at partnering higher education institutions worldwide. IIE-SRF selects outstanding professors, researchers, and public intellectuals for fellowship support and arranges visiting academic positions with partnering institutions of higher learning and research. Our fellowships enable scholars to pursue their academic work in safety and to continue to share their knowledge with students, colleagues, and the community.
The IIE-SRF Program Officer manages all phases of applicant vetting and selection, grantee and host partner management, and monitoring for a complex caseload of scholars from around the world.
• Assesses a diverse range of applications to IIE-SRF, requiring consideration of highly subjective and nuanced factors: corresponds with applicants regarding their backgrounds and circumstances, requiring sensitive communications with individuals in vulnerable situations; conducts research on applicant backgrounds, circumstances, and home countries; makes complex eligibility determinations and award recommendations.
• Prepares written and verbal presentations for the IIE-SRF Selection Committee.
• Manages a caseload of 30-50 IIE-SRF fellows: guides grantees through the fellowship process from application to the academic appointment’s conclusion; serves as grantees’ point of contact for all fellowship and personal matters.
• Arranges and supports fellowship placements across the globe: conducts university placement outreach for grantees; negotiates appointment terms with host institutions; prepares grantee and host agreements, compiles grantee documentation for payments, and arranges travel; conducts monitoring, advising, and follow-up with grantees and host institutions.
• Contributes to internal and external communications.
• Represents IIE-SRF at meetings and events.
• Assists in program development, fundraising, and special initiatives, as required.
Education and Work Experience:
• Requires a Bachelor's degree in order to apply a working knowledge of the theories and principles in a specialized field or work discipline.
• Requires at least two years of related work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills, including strong writing abilities. Demonstrated interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including emotional intelligence and sensitivity for working with individuals from vulnerable groups. Superior attention to detail.
• Knowledge of international and U.S. educational systems, human rights / refugee organizations, or other relevant entities. Demonstrated interest in and experience with global affairs.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle increasing levels of responsibility, and work with limited supervision.
• Solid judgement and demonstrated ability to handle sensitive, confidential information in a discrete, professional manner.
• Excellent research and analytical skills. Fluency in a second language is beneficial.
• Flexibility, initiative, and problem-solving abilities, particularly in ambiguous or complex situations.
Contact email: [email protected]
Resume and cover letter are required.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job