Program Officer: Central and West Africa (Francophone)
National Democratic Institute
About the organization
Job Function: Washington DC
Department: Central & West Africa
Location: Washington, DC
Program Officer: Centraland West Africa (Francophone)
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a francophone Program Officer with political and organizational expertise to support NDI's democratic development programs in Central and West Africa, with a focus on the Liptako-Gourma countries. The Program Officer will work with members of the CEWA team in the implementation and monitoring of democracy support programs with civic organizations, legislatures, and executive agencies. The position will be based in Washington, DC, and requires occasional travel overseas.
* In partnership with field staff, plans and oversees the implementation of program activities in assigned countries.
* Drafts, or oversees drafting and submission of quarterly and other reports with minimal substantive guidance. Contributes substantively to proposals, board memos, and public documents; manages proposal processes and timelines for proposal submissions.
* Contributes to program concepts and strategies, including objectives and evaluation frameworks.
* Leads work plan discussions and manages process for work plan drafting and submission.
* Anticipates program needs and ensures that field offices receive administrative or programmatic support from headquarters in Washington, DC.
* Bachelor's degree in political science, international relations, law, international development or related subject; graduate degree preferred.
* A minimum of four (4) years of relevant work experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development, legislative affairs, or equivalent experience gained at NDI. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
* Experience writing project proposals, work plans, donor reports.
* Experience developing and managing concurrent budgets; knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures.
* Experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation techniques preferred.
* High proficiency in French required.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French to effectively present information, respond to questions and prepare written reports in a professional and timely manner.
* Demonstrated competency in one or more areas of NDI's functional areas.
* Strong managerial and interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel and members of donor organizations.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Google Suite environment, email technology and spreadsheets.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job