Program Manager, Okapi Wildlife Reserve
Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
About the organization
The Wildlife Conservation Society is an international NGO headquartered at Bronx Zoo in New York City working to save wildlife and wild lands and to meet global challenges in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the world’s oceans. The Africa Program is the largest of WCS’s field programs, with approximately 1,100 staff in 12 country programs focused across three major regions (Central Africa, Sudano-Sahel, Eastern Africa, Madagascar and Western Indian Ocean).
Our MISSION is to save wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education and inspiring people to value nature. Our VISION is a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on earth. Our GOAL is to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world’s biodiversity.
See full description here on website.
Provide technical, administrative and program implementation support to a large and complex protected area; the Okapi Wildlife Reserve in the Ituri Province of Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Provide programmatic support across all departments of protected area management with a particular focus on timely project reporting and new project development for a diverse array of grants and funding sources, tracking grant implementation, project onboarding, and staff capacity building.
Candidates will have the necessary experience and skills to work within a challenging, dynamic and complex program in a remote location and grasp the complexities of situations as they arise; adapt work accordingly and manage their time well; work within a culturally diverse and challenging work environment; have demonstrated experience in at least one of the four primary pillars of the OWR implementation strategy: 1) improved security and reduced criminality; 2) improved management effectiveness through capacity development and systems building; 3) improved well-being of rights-holding communities in and around the OWR, and 4) sustainable financing.
• Either an advanced degree (Masters) in the fields of natural resource management, conservation, development, social sciences or similar, or a first degree (Bachelor’s) with demonstrated and appropriate experience.
• Demonstrated on-the-ground experience (>4 years) within one of the four pillars of the OWR implementation strategy (security and combatting criminality, protected area management systems and operations, development and wellbeing of local communities, sustainable financing of protected areas)
• Experience working in the project/programme cycles of design, implementation, M&E, reporting, workplanning and budgeting, with knowledge of USAID or other bilateral donors a distinct advantage
• Experience working, coordinating and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders – such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives and the private sector
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, professional working capabilities in French; knowledge of Swahili an advantage
• Demonstrated experience of working in remote areas under challenging conditions and as an effective member of a multi-cultural team, with experience of working in Central Africa or DRC a distinct advantage
• Energetic, flexible, adaptable, creative and ambitious, with a drive to get things done
• Interest in conservation and committed to the mission of the Wildlife Conservation Society
Contact email: [email protected]
In order to apply for this position and if you meet the above qualifications, skills and experience, you should apply by emailing your application to [email protected] Your application should include, as attachments: a cover letter, CV, and three references (names and contact information). Please include “OWR Program Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
If you have any queries related to this position please contact: [email protected]
Application Deadline of 15 December 2021
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce: qualified women, people from all ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
EOE AA M/F/SO/Vets/Disabled
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job