Program Manager, Afghanistan Programs
About the organization
At Internews, we believe everyone deserves trustworthy news and information to make informed decisions about their lives and hold power to account. We train journalists and digital rights activists, tackle disinformation, and offer business expertise to help media outlets become financially sustainable. We do all of this in partnership with local communities – who are the people best placed to know what works.
We support independent media in 100 countries, from radio stations in refugee camps, to hyper-local news outlets, to individual activists and reporters. We’ve helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information that saves lives, improves livelihoods, and holds institutions accountable.
The Program Manager for Afghanistan will assist the Internews Afghanistan Country Team to oversee project activities and ensure effective program implementation, as well as coordinate with diverse international donors in order to support the Afghan media and journalists to safely provide public service information.
The Program Manager reports to the Afghanistan Country Director to ensure effective implementation of the Afghanistan portfolio. In coordination with the Asia regional-based support staff, the Program Manager provides managerial support as required and assists in the development of new programs.
To learn more, please visit our Careers page: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1542
- Minimum 5 years program management experience, preferably in the media sector
- Experience working with international donors and donor-funded programs
- Experience working within Afghanistan or with related projects, and understanding of the cultural and social context
- Good understanding of project management and M&E processes
- Relevant university degree required
- Grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency
- Experience in developing or supporting programs
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing and listening
- Proficiency in Dari and/or Pashto preferred but not essential
- Experience navigating a politically complex and high-risk environment preferred
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proficient in MS Office
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Carers page.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job