Program Director- Latin America & The Caribbean
National Democratic Institute
About the organization
The National Democratic Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization working to support and strengthen democratic institutions worldwide through citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
Job Function: Washington DC
Department: Latin America & The Caribbean
Location: Washington, DC
Candidates must be legally eligible and authorized to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks a Program Director to join its Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) team in the Washington, DC office, this role leads and oversees several country programs that are complex in scope or large grant funded programs for a single country. This role would manage other team members and contribute to the larger strategic elements of the programmatic themes, planning and execution.
* Leads in day-to-day internal management of multiple countries and acts as management focal point in absence of regional director and/or deputy director.
* Leads and oversees team members in the planning, design and evaluation of NDI's projects in collaboration with local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
* Develops and maintains collaborative external relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations in the U.S. and the region, national and international news organizations, political party networks and partners, and NDI's network of volunteer trainers and experts.
* Responsible for oversight of the annual budget; working with staff to provide a full, accurate and timely accounting of all funds.
* This position manages direct reports in both Washington, DC and in the assigned region.
* Bachelor's Degree, preferably in International Relations or related subject; graduate degree desired.
* A minimum of 12 years relevant work experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development, legislative affairs, or impressive experience at NDI. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
* Extensive program design and strategic planning experience as it relates to executing program activities; this including managing staff, completing budget management activities with large grants or handling multiple programs or countries
* Exceptional interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy makers
* Superior oral and written communications skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and negotiate details
* Fluency in English and Spanish required; Additional linguistic abilities in French also useful
* Exceptional skills for analyzing complex program and political issues and to think innovatively and introduce new concepts
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job