Program Director, Bridgeport/Boston
About the organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 28 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.3 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1600 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 220,827 children, parents and grandparents attend these school everyday.
• Oversee all activities to drive student outcomes through quality Service-Learning Programs across the regions.
• Develop the buildOn movement by achieving Key Performance Indicators with goals outlined below:
300 Student Program 150 Student Program
Engagement = 300 students Engagement = 150 students
Service Goal = 975 hrs Service Goal = 488 hrs
Education: 225 hrs Education: 113 hrs
• Ensure quality of U.S. program delivery. Quality of programming includes:
o Constructive Leadership: Foster student-driven programming which allows each student to develop as a constructive leader. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited through service!
o IPARD Service Learning Model: Ensure that service in 80% of student engagement by using the modified service learning model to maximize outcomes
• Directly manage team of staff including weekly 515s, performance evaluation process, and ongoing coaching and support.
• Lead hiring processes to recruit, vet, and select passionate, persistent, and talented individuals to join team.
• Lead collaboration with other departments, such as Development, Marketing, Global, Finance, and HR to meet organizational goals, such as fund development and elevating student voice, to work as ONE buildOn.
• Lead Immersions
o Communicate and collaborate with the Immersion Department to execute IPARD service plan
• Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, and the world.
• Experience working in mission-centered nonprofit programs and a commitment to exemplify buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion.
• Belief in the power of students to develop as Constructive Leaders through service.
• Extensive experience living and/or working in underserved communities.
• Proven record of significant, measurable results in nonprofit program management, including but not limited to leading and mentoring teams to achieve high quality and quantifiable results.
• Effective staff performance management, leadership and coaching (3-5 years).
• Superb program planning skills with the ability to train and coach (from start to completion) involving deadlines, milestones and processes.
• Extensive experience leading service-learning programs and developing and/or approving budgets and operations (3-5 years)
• Driven to achieve goals and proven experience initiating programmatic goal setting according to organizational and departmental strategic objectives, including cross-collaboration across functions to support organizational priorities.
• Organized and disciplined with time to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously
• Exceptional communicator and superb relationships building skills with staff, students, donors, school administrators, and community partners.
• Excel to adapt in a dynamic and fast
Contact email: [email protected]
Please submit resume and cover letter
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply