Program Communications Officer, Los Angeles Office
Just Detention International
About the organization
Just Detention International (JDI) is a health and human rights organization that seeks to end sexual abuse in all forms of detention.
Just Detention International (JDI) is recruiting a Staff Writer to work in its Los Angeles office. JDI is a health and human rights organization that seeks to end sexual abuse in all forms of detention. The Program Content Writer will join JDI’s communications team and report to JDI's Communications Director.
Key Staff Writer Responsibilities:
• Work with JDI’s program and communications teams to write and edit program reports and educational materials in support of JDI’s work to ensure the safety and dignity of incarcerated people.
• Work with JDI’s program and communications teams to write and edit supportive materials for incarcerated survivors of sexual abuse.
• Interview survivors, JDI supporters, and key program partners, as needed, to develop JDI communications and program materials.
• Working with the Communications Director, help formulate JDI’s position on critical issues and help develop communications strategies to advance JDI’s mission.
• Write JDI press releases, fact sheets, research reports, Action Update articles, and other core communications materials
• Plan and develop content for JDI’s website, social media platforms, and emails to supporters
• Draft op-eds, letters to the editor, and other statements for the media
• Write and edit fundraising letters and donor and program progress reports
• Exceptional writing skills
• BA or equivalent relevant experience
• Minimum three years of relevant professional experience, preferably as a writer or editor at a at a nonprofit organization
• Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
• Outstanding MS Office computer skills and a sharp eye for design
• Basic knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, InDesign) and website content management systems are a plus, but not required
• Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Passionate commitment to protecting the human rights of all people
• Comfort addressing sexual violence, ability to work sensitively with trauma survivors, and willingness to work inside detention facilities
• Ability to work effectively with people with diverse backgrounds and experiences
$55,000 - $65,000 Annually
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job