Working Against Violence for Everyone (WAVE)
About the organization
WAVE is a non-profit domestic violence and sexual assault advocacy program based in Petersburg, Alaska. Formed in 1982 by seven local residents who wanted to address domestic violence, WAVE initially was named Women’s Aid in Violent Emergencies. In 2011, the board decided the name should be more inclusive so renamed the organization to Working Against Violence for Everyone. Our staff and volunteers assist and advocate with a trauma informed approach for people impacted by power based violence with a focus on prevention.
● Develop and implement a comprehensive domestic violence and sexual assault
prevention plan in response to community needs.
● Facilitate researched based programming and community conversations.
● Evaluate programming annually to report achievements and amend plans, as
● Coordinate staff and volunteer resources in the successful execution of program
● Maintain program budget.
● Develop collaborative relationships with existing and new community partners.
● Complete funder, program and board reports in a timely and accurate manner.
● Provide program specific descriptions, including goals and outcomes, for grant
proposals, and collaborate with staff to ensure grant applications are consistent
with current and future program plans.
● Maintain prevention messaging on social media sites following program
● Develop marking materials including event flyers and brochures.
● Perform record-keeping activities associated with programs or as required for
data collection or inter-staff communication.
● Meet regularly with supervisor for supervision and support.
● As needed, provide crisis intervention to victims of power-based violence and
their children over the telephone, online, and in person.
● Report cases of suspected abuse or neglect of children or vulnerable adults to
agencies as required by mandated reporting statutes.
● With notice be available to work outside of normal
● Must pass a background check.
● Ability to work both independently and with a team, be adaptable to change and
● Must complete 40 hours of training in domestic violence or sexual assault, crisis
intervention, victim support, treatment and related areas training within 6 months
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Must have a thorough understanding of systems of oppression as the root cause
of power-based violence or the willingness to learn.
● Ability to provide services with a trauma informed approach.
● Must have effective interpersonal skills and communicate with a wide variety of
● Must have computer skills including presentations both in person and virtual,
database entry, or the ability to learn.
● Must maintain confidentiality
● Must support WAVE’s Philosophy:
WAVE believes that violence is an unacceptable way to deal with problems and
that everyone has the right to be free from violence in their homes. Our goal is to
provide a place where anyone, regardless of sex, age, race, or sexual
orientation, can go to be safe and explore their options.
$18.50 - $19.50/hour
Contact email: [email protected]
Covid-19 vaccination required. All WAVE staff must follow state and borough mandates and follow CDC recommendations.
Paid time off; 13 paid holidays; weekly paid self care time; retirement; supplemental
insurance for life, health, short term disability; family medical leave; training and
professional development opportunities.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job