Policy Director, America Forward
About the organization
America Forward is a nonpartisan policy initiative of New Profit, a pioneering national venture philanthropy fund that seeks to break down barriers between all people and opportunity in America. New Profit invests in visionary leaders – both social entrepreneurs and system entrepreneurs -- to help them scale high-impact solutions and achieve systemic change. To date, New Profit has invested over $150 million in scaling innovative organizations' impact.
America Forward’s Policy Director will:
• Develop policy platforms, proposals, and strategies that reflect the interests of New Profit and America Forward Coalition members in: Evidence-based policy, social innovation, workforce development, Pay for Success/outcomes-based funding, and other emerging areas of interest.
• In close collaboration with America Forward’s Directors and team of consultants, advocate for specific policy agendas in the areas of: Evidence-based policy, social innovation, workforce development, Pay for Success, education, human services, national service, and other related issues.
• Lead America Forward’s Evidence-based Task Force, advise America Forward’s Workforce Development Task Forces, and develop strong relationships with CEOs and Policy Directors of member organizations.
• Lead America Forward’s efforts to influence the regulation and implementation of major Pay for Success legislation, including the Social Impact Partnership to Pay for Results Act and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.
• Continue to push for the enactment of signature America Forward priorities in Congress, including the Fund for Innovation and Success in Higher Education (FINISH) Act, the Revitalize and Expand SNAP Education and Training (RESET) For America’s Future Act, the Expanding Pathways to Employment Act, and other legislation of interest to the Coalition.
• Significant professional experience (ideally at least 10 years) in federal policy and/or politics; experience working on Capitol Hill in a federal department/agency, for other policymakers, or in the policy department of a national nonprofit organization, think tank, or philanthropic organization.
• Relationship and consensus-building skills, including experience working with or managing coalitions; comfort working with both policy experts and novices.
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a DC team connected to a larger Boston-based organization; ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team of DC-based senior policy consultants.
• Superior written communication skills; exceptional ability to synthesize complex information and ideas into clear, concise, and compelling written materials.
• Superior verbal communication skills; exceptional ability to craft messages that resonate with multiple audiences; substantial experience and comfort with public speaking and engaging large audiences.
• Superior research skills; ability to quickly and accurately pull key facts or statistics to support a broader advocacy proposal, tied to strong and accurate sourcing; ability to efficiently fact-check.
• Ability to thrive and learn in a fast-paced environment, ability to be nimble as part of an entrepreneurial organization, comfort in an environment that emphasizes collaboration and a “can-do” orientation.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job