Community Water Center
About the organization
Community Water Center (CWC) is an environmental justice nonprofit that works directly
alongside impacted communities towards the goal of securing universal access to safe and
affordable drinking water in California. We believe access to safe and affordable drinking water
is a basic human right, not a privilege. CWC seeks to build an enduring movement for water
justice that is powered by community activists by serving as a catalyst for community-driven
water solutions through organizing, education, and advocacy.
The Policy Advocate is responsible for supporting assigned community-driven safe water and
state/local policy campaigns from the Sacramento Office, and will also provide organizational
support. This position reports to the Policy Director and will also work closely with other CWC
personnel, independent contractors, allies, community partners, and vendors. This is a regular,
exempt, full-time, salary position.
● Strong passion for, and commitment to, social and environmental justice
● Strong legislative and administrative lobbying and advocacy skills
● Strong verbal and written fluency in Spanish, including strong bilingual
(Spanish-English) interpersonal verbal communication and writing skills, with sensitivity
to appropriate delivery depending on target and audience
● Experience working with low-income communities and/or communities of color,
particularly Latinx farmworker communities
● Outstanding organizational skills
● Ability to analyze and respond to technical documents related to groundwater quality and
supply, public finance, governance, and public health
● Flexible schedule: willing and able to travel to communities in the San Joaquin Valley,
work weekends, and attend night meetings when necessary
● At least 2 years of experience in CA administrative and/or legislative policy advocacy,
particularly in the following areas: o CA water and environmental law o CA local government law
● Experience working with media and developing communications materials around
advocacy campaigns, including digital engagement strategies
● Experience working with local environmental justice (EJ) community partners in
● Background in environmental science or policy, public health, sustainable agriculture,
community development or related field
Starting at $52,000 (based on experience and qualifications).
Contact email: [email protected]
To apply, email resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Community Water Center is committed to providing equal opportunity to qualified job applicants and employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including pregnancy), mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
To learn more about Community Water Center visit www.communitywatercenter.org
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job