Participant Medical & Risk Assessment Officer
World Learning Youth Exchange
About the organization
The Participant Medical and Risk Assessment Officer is an integral part of the team responsible for supporting the operations of World Learning’s Youth Exchange Unit working with both The Experiment in International Living and World Learning Youth Programs. Since 1932, The Experiment has been a pioneer in international education for young people. The Youth Exchange Unit programs engage young people in experiential programs which introduce students to different cultures through homestay, community service, language training, the arts, and cultural adventure. The Youth Exchange Unit works with approximately 1,900 participants across 33 countries and 41 U.S. states annually. This is a full-time position based in Brattleboro, Vermont.
This position works both with Admissions and Program staff to administer and implement high school exchange programs. World Learning Youth Exchange is strongly oriented towards accommodating applicants to participate in the program of their choosing; the Participant Medical and Risk Assessment Officer will be responsible for overseeing the applicant physical and mental health administrative process to ensure that program placements have the highest potential for participant health and safety. They will ensure that all program participants are properly reviewed, leaders and in-country partner organizations are prepared to manage participant health on program, and on-call staff are briefed of any pertinent physical or mental health concerns. The position also entails close collaboration with the Admissions team, and will use Salesforce, World Learning’s CRM system, to manage and track family/participant communications and track data and pertinent information needed to complete the health and wellness administration processes. Familiarity with operational aspects of Youth Exchange programming and risk management efforts is key, as this position will also serve as on-call staff during programs. The Participant Medical and Risk Assessment Officer will also work closely with the Leader Hiring Team on leader health reviews and appropriate program placement where health considerations may exist.
· Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years relevant experience;
· 3-5 years of experience with international travel and experiential youth programs;
· A current certification as a Wilderness First Responder, Emergency Medical Technician, Travel Medicine First Responder, or equivalent;
· A background that would assist in understanding health review issues – specifically as they pertain to international travel and adolescents;
· A background in, and familiarity with mental health and neurodiversity, such as having worked with one or more populations with different needs;
· Has a DEI Mindset: Fosters diverse, equitable and inclusive practices and challenges practices which may be exclusionary;
· Ability to discern appropriate level of communication with multiple audiences and maintain confidentiality around complex and sensitive issues;
· Ability to manage ambiguity in the work environment including effectively coping with change; able to shift comfortably; decide and act without having the total picture; comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
· Demonstrated ability to function in unstructured work environments and/or uncertain conditions (includes the ability to work in situations where one has little/no control).
· Willingness and availability to participate in on-call duty rotation while programs are in session, including during assigned nights, weekends, and holidays;
see website for more
Learn more, and submit a resume and cover letter using the link provided.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job