Paralegal, Rochester, NY
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.
About the organization
LawNY® is a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people in 14 counties in western New York.
LawNY® offices may be able to help you with problems such as welfare terminations, divorces, evictions, SSI denials, or other legal problems if you are eligible for our services.
We provide services to 14 counties in western New York including: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Wayne and Yates Counties. Click the county you live in to find the LawNY® office location closest to you.
Core Responsibilities include:
• Court scheduling/calendaring.
• Client screening and intake on-site in Rochester City or other assigned Court, including obtaining documentation and determining eligibility for services.
• Client interviews and investigation.
• Assisting attorneys in the preparation of cases, including conducting legal research and preparing drafts of legal documents and memorandum, as permitted by law and ethical considerations.
• Data collection, data entry and file maintenance.
• Outreach activities.
• Relationship-building with court staff, community groups and other stakeholders.
• Bachelor's degree, Associate’s degree, and/or relevant work experience, is required.
• Applicants must be organized and have excellent interpersonal and writing skills.
• Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to helping poor and disadvantaged people overcome institutional barriers to legal access.
Dependent Upon Experience
Contact email: [email protected]
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, writing sample and (3) professional references.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job