Outdoor Science Instructor
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
About the organization
OMSI is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches 1 million people each year. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country.
Scheduled to work approximately September - November
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
Do you have a passion for teaching, the outdoors, and science? Join the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) team as an Outdoor Science Instructor and help inspire curiosity in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for children across the northwest. You’ll be surrounded by the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument and experience an up-close look at globally significant paleontology and crystal-clear nights to see the stars. As an Outdoor Science Instructor, you’ll participate in OMSI’s vision to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science, technology and design, and weave a thriving innovation district into the fabric of Portland, that spreads opportunities across the Northwest.
What you’ll do:
• Teach concept-based, natural science curriculum, utilizing a mix of outdoor and classroom settings for students K-12, as well as adult learners.
• Prepare daily lesson plans, and maintain equipment and teaching supplies for the program.
• Lead summer programs onsite, traveling or both*. This includes driving a van or bus, teaching, dispensing medication, preparing meals, and campsite set up/breakdown.
• Experience working with youth in an educational setting.
• Working knowledge of the concepts in natural history and ecology.
• Combination of experience and education equivalent to Bachelor's Degree.
• Oregon Food Handlers Card (training is available during non-working days at employee’s expense).
• Current CPR for professional rescuer.
• Current Lifeguard (training is available during non-working days at employee’s expense)*.
• Current Wilderness First Responder (training is available during non-working days at employee’s expense)*.
• Valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License w/ air brake & passenger endorsements (training is available during non-working days at employee’s expense)*.
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check, reference checks, American Camp Association (ACA) background checks, and requirements in the MVR Policy including passing a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check* and pre-employment drug test for the CDL Driver’s Policy*.
$68.00 - $73.25 per day
Learn more here: http://www.omsi.edu/outdooredjobs
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job