Outdoor Science Instructor
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
About the organization
OMSI is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches 1 million people each year. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is seeking Outdoor Science Instructors for our Fall season! Outdoor Science Instructors are a passionate team of educators committed to providing transformative concept-based outdoor science education experiences. Using our curricula, instructors plan and lead lessons that are student-centered and place-based for all ages. Instructors also rotate through facilities-based tasks to support the overall site and community. This unique residential position offers the opportunity to live, work, and play in Newport, OR. In joining the OMSI team, you also participate in OMSI’s vision to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science and technology that spreads educational opportunities across the Northwest.
• Teach concept-based, natural science curriculum, utilizing a mix of outdoor, classroom, and online settings for students K-12, as well as adult learners
• Prepare daily lesson plans and clean/maintain teaching spaces and supplies
• Assist meal service and clean dining hall, cabins, restrooms and staff housing, during and at the end of each program
• Recognize, mitigate, and respond to hazards to ensure a healthy and safe program for all participants
• Actively integrate diversity, equity, access and inclusion in all areas
• Demonstrated ability to pivot between individual and team work
• Comfortable leading groups of students in all weather conditions
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite products
• Combination of experience and education equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree
• Working knowledge of the concepts in natural history and ecology
• Prior classroom, enrichment, or youth engagement experience
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check, reference checks, and American Camp Association (ACA) background checks (&on an annual basis).
$88.00 per day, plus room and board
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job