Organic Plant Propagation Assistant
Desert Farming Initiative (DFI)
About the organization
The Desert Farming Initiative (DFI) is a 5-acre educational farm located at the Nevada Agriculture Experiment Station. DFI was founded in 2013 and is a collaboration among the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources, Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station (NAES), and Cooperative Extension. Visit the DFI website at http://naes.unr.edu/dfi
The Organic Plant Propagation Assistant will take on a leading role in the DFI greenhouse, and work with 2022 farm team on fruit and vegetable production in general. This is a half term (approximately 6-month) position. It does not require previous horticulture, farming or food systems experience, although such experience is preferred for the position. Ongoing training will be provided during this AmeriCorps term, and the successful candidate must have a desire to learn about plant propagation and sustainable agriculture. The position will report to the DFI Director, and take direction from the DFI Farm Production Manager and Education Program Coordinator as well. The position involves physically demanding tasks outdoors on the farm, interacting with diverse groups and populations, and working independently as well as within a dynamic team.
● Passionate commitment to working with others on sustainable agriculture. Preference will be given to individuals who have an interest in a food systems or agricultural career in Nevada
● Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and take initiative to improve farm systems
● Ability to work outdoors conducting physical labor in hot and cold temperatures
● Outstanding work ethic and positive attitude
● Good interpersonal communication skills
● Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office applications
● Strong organizational skills
● Experience working with volunteers
● Preferred: strong understanding of or educational background in horticulture and/or food systems
● Preferred: experience working on a commercial or educational farm
AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance of $8,471 for a half term (approximately 6 months) and a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $3,172.50. Half term service members also receive an AmeriCorps/DFI t-shirt, hoodie, hat, and water bottle.
Contact email: [email protected]
A complete application consists of a detailed resume, cover letter, and 2 professional references. Please submit your application directly via email to Jill Moe, DFI Director, at [email protected] Incomplete applications and applications submitted indirectly via online platforms (such as Indeed or other) will not be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply