Operations Director, fluent in French and English
About the organization
Dahari is a local Comorian NGO founded in February 2013 as a result of a five-year pilot project (www.ecddcomoros.org). It has quickly established itself as one of the leading NGOs in the Comoros with a multicultural team of 75 full- and part-time employees.
The Comoros archipelago is a group of volcanic islands located between Mozambique and Madagascar, which boast magnificent landscapes but suffer from one of the highest levels of deforestation in the world, endangering the livelihoods as well as endemic biodiversity. Dahari has developed an integrated and unique intervention model to combat these problems thanks to the support of internationally-renowned institutions (e.g. ICRAF, CIRAD, Blue Ventures, and the Universities of Bangor and Oxford).
Dahari's holistic intervention model covers agricultural and agro-forestry development, forest management around watersheds, ecological research, conservation of biodiversity, and the management of marine and coastal resources.
The Operations Director will work in concert with the Comorian Executive and Technical Directors as part of a three-person leadership team, with the following specific responsibilities:
- Manage international partnerships and represent Dahari at the international level;
- Manage fundraising, relationships with funders, and the development of funding proposals;
- Supervise and assist in the evolution of Dahari programmes in all its intervention sectors;
- Work to improve Dahari’s administrative, financial and human resource management;
- Support the professional development of Dahari’s management team;
- Help to develop a detailed strategic plan for 2020 to 2023 and ensure that its objectives are realised.
We are looking for a motivated and dynamic person with the abilities and experiences listed below. They must share Dahari’s values to ensure synergy with the team, and be committed to driving the NGO forwards.
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in rural development, environmental management, or related fields;
- At least five years of experience working on conservation or development initiatives;
- At least five years of experience managing teams, projects, and partnerships;
- Strong fundraising skills and experience;
- Strong understanding of development and conservation issues at international and local levels;
- Fluent French and strong English, spoken and written;
- Strong organisational and time management skills, independent and rigorous.
- Experience in managing local NGOs;
- Technical knowledge and experience in Dahari's areas of intervention, and in administrative and financial management;
- Experience in scaling up programmes and associated institutional transformation.
Contact email: [email protected]
How to apply:
Please send a CV of no more than two pages and a cover letter to [email protected] Only candidates retained for interview will be contacted.
NB. Only candidates with very strong French will be considered
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply