NYC AmeriCorps Member - math tutor
About the organization
Saga Education is an official AmeriCorps program under the Corporation for National & Community Service (CNCS). Saga Education supports historically under-served young people by providing personalized and consistent math tutorials led by professionally trained AmeriCorps members who supplement teacher instruction and encourage students’ confidence and academic strengths. Our organization currently partners with public school districts in Chicago, New York City, and Washington DC. For more information about Saga Education’s mission, model, and locations, please visit us at www.sagaeducation.org.
AmeriCorps members commit to ten months of service (August 2020 - June 2021). They strive to promote the academic success of their small cohort of students by focusing intently on individualized instruction and building strong relationships.
- AmeriCorps members provide daily math tutoring to a small caseload of high school students (12 to 24) assigned to them at the beginning of the service year. Saga’s model is embedded into the regular school day, and AmeriCorps members serve 2-4 students per class period
- AmeriCorps members contact families regularly about student progress. This communication forges trust, fosters relationships, and keeps guardians informed about the successes and needs of their child
- Every school is led by a Site Director who is responsible for observing, training, and supporting AmeriCorps members throughout their entire year of service. AmeriCorps members will be observed weekly and must be hungry for feedback
- AmeriCorps members are expected to complete 1,700 service hours during their ten-month commitment
- AmeriCorps members are required to be U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents
- Completed Associate's degree, or higher, in any discipline
- Ability to teach and communicate Algebra and Geometric skills and concepts
- Readiness to rise to the many demands and challenges that come with supporting at-risk youth
- Passion for educational equity
- Hunger for feedback
- Prior paid or volunteer experience with students, preferred but not required
- Prior coaching, tutoring, or teaching experience, preferred but not required
- Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, City Year, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply
$21,000 + $6,200 Segal Education Award
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job