Northeastern CAR Protected Areas Director/Country Director
Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
About the organization
WCS has recently launched a new CAR program in partnership with the government of CAR with a focus on the management of the Bamingui Bangoran and Manovo Gounda St Floris National Parks in north eastern CAR. This is a multi-faceted long-term robust program including park management, law enforcement, land-use planning, applied research, conflict mitigation and community engagement.
WCS is now seeking a dynamic and highly motivated professional for the Northeastern CAR protected areas Director position, this position includes the role of acting as Country Director for WCS CAR program overall. The position will be based at Bamingui National Park with frequent travel throughout the landscape and CAR.
Please see full job description at: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25965&siteid=5168#jobDetails=440421_5168
The WCS CAR Northeastern Protected Areas Director/Country Director will be responsible for managing all WCS program activities in CAR in alignment with the landscape, CAR, and Sudano-Sahel Region strategies.
WCS CAR Program Strategic Development
• Act as legal representative of WCS in CAR.
• Ensure WCS's day to day protected area management and conservation activities.
• Develop and update the Northeastern CAR and Country Program Strategic Plan in a manner that addresses WCS Sudano-Sahel Region objectives, while adapting to the social, political and ecological context within CAR.
• Provide input to the ongoing evolution of the Sudano-Sahel regional strategic plan and ensure alignment of the CAR initiative with the Sudano-Sahel Region strategy.
...more information on website...
WCS CAR Program Technical Planning and Management
• • Ensure that the WCS CAR Northeastern Protected Areas program is developed and implemented to address the Sudano-Sahel regional and country strategic orientations. Ensure that they are in harmony with stated Sudano-Sahel Region conservation goals, donor policies and requirements for financial and administrative management WCS CAR Human Resources and Financial administration.
...more information on website...
• Master’s degree or higher (or equivalent in training and experience) in discipline related to protected area management, natural resources management, law enforcement and security, or wildlife/conservation biology.
• Minimum ten years progressively increasing responsibility for protected areas or natural resources management, in developing countries in Africa; proven ability to build capacity and direct initiatives in Park management natural resources management, wildlife law enforcement, conservation biology, conservation advocacy and project management.
• Proven knowledge and experience with government agencies and management of large agency grants (EU, France, and US Government).
• Substantial experience in partner Government relations and knowledge of international conservation policy issues; proven ability to develop and maintain a network of high-level
contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral technical and financial partners.
• French and English language fluency required, familiarity with languages and culture of CAR and neighboring countries will be an advantage.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as strong analytical skills.
• Demonstrated experience effectively managing staff and team building.
• Proven ability and comfortable with living and working in multicultural environment in isolated areas, under difficult field conditions.
• Significant work experience in CAR and neighboring countries
Contact email: [email protected]
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three references to: [email protected] by 31st August 2019 deadline. Please include “CAR Protected Areas/Country Director” in the subject line of your email.
In addition, please note that all candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal at:
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job