Mobile Food Bank Coordinator Summer Associate
United Way of Thurston County
About the organization
United Way of Thurston County (UWTC) mobilizes the caring power of communities to fight for the health, education and financial stability of all members of our community.
UWTC's AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) Summer Associate members go where the need is greatest: to communities facing poverty, inequity, and unemployment. Summer Associates serve for intensive, short terms of service lasting eight, nine, or ten weeks. Summer Associates alleviate poverty--not simply make poverty more tolerable--and increase impact for the populations served.
Nourish Pierce County’s award winning mobile food banks are semi-trucks that have been converted into full-service food banks on wheels. The mobiles provide clients with the same amount of food they would receive at one of Nourish’s “brick-and-mortar” food banks. Without the infrastructure expenses of a fixed location, Nourish’s mobile food banks are an economical response to hunger that is flexible and accessible. As communities change, we can adjust the mobile food bank route.
The Summer Associate VISTA will support the mobile food bank distribution at 26 area distribution sites weekly, including schools, low income neighborhoods, community & technical colleges and even the local children's hospital. The Summer Associate VISTA will play an integral part of Nourish's Mobile Food Bank operations. Duties include:
- Ensure a warm and welcoming environment for customers to “shop”
- Provide a positive working environment for volunteers
- Assist with all phases of mobile food bank operations, including loading, working with volunteers, and distribution of food to customers
- Identify needs and design strategies to strengthen community involvement in the mobile food bank program
We desire Summer Associate members who are passionate about fighting poverty. Successful VISTA members are:
- Active listeners
- Independent workers
- Highly self-motivated
- Team players
Desired skills include:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Community organization
- Knowledge of food banking/food systems
Contact email: [email protected]
Benefits of Service
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $542.22 (pre-tax)
- End-of-Service Award (choice of $1,311 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or $345 cash stipend)
- Service-Related Transportation Reimbursement
- High-quality training, orientation, and professional development
- Unique team experience as part of United Way and AmeriCorps networks
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job