Middle School English Teacher (2021-22 school year)
Presidio Knolls School
About the organization
PKS is "the most San Francisco of San Francisco schools." We are fearless, innovative, and globally minded; we are proudly progressive; and we offer a full Chinese immersion program to a diverse group of students.
By traditional metrics, our students are extremely high achieving (two-thirds are in the 90th percentile or higher in MAP testing in math and English, and 95% of our students are on pace to reach advanced levels in ACTFL benchmarks of Chinese).
But we are not satisfied with traditional metrics. We believe 21st century learners must be more than test takers. We believe that rigor is defined not by what you have memorized, but by what you can do. Our graduates are joyful, compassionate, and collaborative. They have completed real-world projects that required sophisticated use of both English and Chinese.
• Co-author, coordinate, and implement a well-organized and focused curriculum
• Document student progress through F&P assessment
• Design assessments that make learning visible; document student growth
• Teach classes, as assigned, to students grades 6-8
• Create a warm, caring, joyful learning community
• Create a classroom space that is differentiated, engaging, responsive, and beautiful
• Participate in reflection and coaching activities
• Travel with students on a 10 day trip to Asia each school year
• Maintain open communication with parents
• Advise a group of around 10 middle school students and work with them in a daily advisory block (focused on social emotional health and good decision making)
• 5+ years of English teaching experience
• Master’s degree preferred
• BA and prior teaching experience required
• Demonstrated success inspiring middle school children
• Familiarity with project-based approaches to teaching
• Familiarity with the ways English instruction in Middle School scaffolds to success in high school and beyond
• Contagious enthusiasm and charisma; the ability to engage and inspire students, parents and colleagues
• Experience in an independent school setting helpful
• Must be able to pass
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job