Mental Health Therapist/Substance Use Counselor

Friends of Youth

About the organization

Driven by a belief that all youth should have every opportunity to succeed, Friends of Youth partners with youth and families to provide the relationships, resources, and skills they need to attain personal growth and success. Founded in 1951 to provide quality foster homes for at-risk adolescent boys, Friends of Youth has since expanded to 24 program sites with services in 18 cities. With 70 years’ experience and national accreditation, we annually serve over 3,200 youth and families ages 0-25 in the Puget Sound Region, focusing in North and East King County. We provide safe places and emotional support for marginalized young people facing difficult circumstances, including homelessness, foster care, and behavioral health challenges, providing the tools necessary to move disenfranchised young people from crisis and instability to safety, stability, and success.


The Mental Health Therapist/Substance Use Counselor supports the Department of Youth & Family Services by providing behavioral health outreach and engagement services for young parents, youth, and young adults in transitional housing programs supported by Friends of Youth. The Counselor provides direct service and treatment in individual and group settings, as well as connections to treatment and other recovery and support services, in Redmond, Kirkland, and Bothell, WA.


- Provide clinical case management services for residents, including crisis management, screening for service referrals, and harm reduction counseling.
- Provide individual and family counseling, motivational interviewing, life skill education, substance use disorder screening, and mental health screening.
- Connect residents to education, healthcare, housing, and job-seeking opportunities.
- Maintain a team-based approach to behavioral health by collaborating with the Clinical Supervisor and communicating caseload changes, participating in staff case consultations, and developing community presentations.
- Ensure clinical services provided meets quality standards and the needs of clients, families, and the community by adhering to professional standards, completing paperwork in a timely manner, and attending weekly clinical supervision meetings.


-Master’s Level Degree in Mental Health Counseling, Social Services, or related field.
Active Washington State license in mental health field (LSWAIC, LICSW, LMHCA, LMHC, LMFTA or LMFT).
-Active Washington State Substance Use Disorder Professional or Trainee License.
-Completion of Substance Use Disorder Professional coursework.
-1-2 years in working with youth and young adults in a behavioral health capacity.

-Experience in leading mental health focused groups, trainings, and/or workshops.
-Experience working with people experiencing substance use disorders.
-Experience working with people in shelters, transitional living programs or people struggling with housing instability.
-Bilingual in Spanish and English.


$23.54 – 25.07 per hour + benefits

Application instructions

Contact email: [email protected]

Before responding to this announcement, please review the Terms of Use [PDF]. The Peace Corps is not able to confirm the legitimacy of all positions posted to this jobs board. If you believe an announcement has violated the Peace Corps Terms of Use, please contact [email protected].

Equal Opportunity Employment

The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:

The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.

Does this sound like the position for you?

Apply to job