Media & Communications Specialist
About the organization
Started in 2006, Building Tomorrow improves access to child-friendly, community-supported schools by providing an inclusive, transformative education for underserved children. Through our Thriving Schools program, we deploy Building Tomorrow Fellows who recruit and train Community Education Volunteers, together bringing out-of-school children into the classroom while working with school leadership to ensure access to an inclusive, transformative school environment. We also work hand-in-hand with local communities, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Education to construct new primary schools where no formal primary school exists. With a full-time staff of 105, Building Tomorrow reaches over 101,000 students each day. Building Tomorrow has received funding and recognition for its innovative work from the Clinton Global Initiative, Educate a Child, Echoing Green, the Segal Family Foundation, and Forbes Magazine. More information can be found online at: www.buildingtomorrow.org.
Building Tomorrow is seeking an exceptional, values-aligned Media & Communications Specialist. As Media & Communications Specialist, you will lead content-creation for storytelling, reporting, and training. You will also coach Building Tomorrow staff and community-based Fellows to create and contribute high-quality content.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Developing social media content aimed at increasing awareness of and engagement with Building Tomorrow.
• Capturing high-quality pictures and filming videos that demonstrate our impact, or that can be used to train staff, teachers, or other partners.
• Shadowing in-country staff in the field, interviewing students, teachers, employees, Fellows, parents and community leaders and sharing their stories.
• Writing blogs, press releases, informational and human-interest publications for use in Building Tomorrow’s marketing and donor communications.
• Preparing donor reports related to particular grants/streams of funding.
• Coaching Building Tomorrow staff and Fellows to improve the quality and efficacy of their own storytelling.
• Initial term of employment is a one-year contract, with options to extend.
• Compensation is commensurate with experience. Job-related travel, modest housing costs, and in-country medical insurance included.
• This position will be based in Kampala, Uganda.
• Start date: October 2019 (negotiable).
• Professional experience in a communications/media-focused role, ideally for an international non-profit.
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Experience in intercultural work environments, and a learner’s heart – curious, studious, growth-oriented.
• A firm grasp of social media tools and platforms we use
• A high level of competence in at least one video/photo editing program (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, etc.) with a capacity to learn more.
• Excellent communication skills – strong writer and skilled storyteller with professional-level oral and written fluency in English.
• Ability to live and work overseas, traveling regularly to remote areas with very minimal infrastructure.
WE WANT YOU TO APPLY IF:
• You have an unshakeable passion for education equality, believing access to an inclusive, transformative education is a basic human right.
• You possess creative ingenuity, being progressive in your thinking and approaching challenges old and new. You are intrapreneurial and unafraid to pilot new ideas.
• You are relentlessly determined. You refuse to accept the status quo and persistently strive to create new opportunities to reach more children, allowing them to reach their maximum potential.
• You believe in collaborative engagement. You believe more can be achieved together than alone, believe in the power of cultivating relationships and see everyone as an equal partner.
Contact email: [email protected]
To apply, please submit a resume, statement of interest (one page maximum), and a portfolio of your best 3-4 pieces (video, blog, photographs) to [email protected]
If someone referred you to this position, please reference them in your statement of interest. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job