Market Access Entrepreneur
One Acre Fund
About the organization
One Acre Fund is a non-profit social enterprise that supplies financing and training to help smallholders grow their way out of hunger and build lasting pathways to prosperity.
We are looking for an entrepreneur to act as a business owner within One Acre Fundyour primary objective is to start a business that sources crops from smallholder farmers.
• Increase farmers' incomes through market access: We are looking for an entrepreneur to find creative ways to make markets work better for smallholder farmers, then grow the solution into a business. Examples of potential businesses include: establishing an aggregation business that sells to existing crop buyers, setting up a processing facility to source from OAF clients and add value, or making partnerships with retailers in both developed and emerging markets. The objective is to increase the income generated from farmers' land by providing a stable market for profitable crops.
• Provide technical expertise: Use knowledge of the agribusiness sector to design ways to aggregate from thousands of farmers, identify buyers or partners, and move the produce to the final market.
• Lead the business scale up: Once a business model has been identified, work with existing One Acre Fund teams, including the field team, to grow the business and integrate it with One Acre Fund's model.
• Build with growth in mind: In the next five to ten years, One Acre Fund envisions providing ample opportunities to our clients to access markets across multiple value chains. We have an existing base of 1 million clients across East Africa and are continuing to quickly grow.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
We are looking for candidates with 5+ years of work experience in private sector agribusiness roles that involved sourcing from smallholder farmers, ideally in East or Southern Africa. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
• Experience leading businesses that source from smallholder farmers in East Africa
• Experience in the following values chains is preferred: fruit & nut trees (macadamia, avocado), groundnuts, edible seeds (chia and sesame), or coffee
• Experience with multiple technical aspects: aggregation logistics, contract agreements , quality standards, processing, export regulations, or certification requirements
• Leadership experience in multicultural environments
• Bachelors degree
• Language: Fluent English required, other East African languages (e.g. Swahili, Kinyarwanda)
We hire on a rolling basis which means that applications are reviewed and processed on a continuous basis until a hire is made.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/2VjkbMtLGlmqiE1gsDxrN
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job