Manager, Office of Agriculture & Forestry Development
Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
About the organization
Manager, Office of Agriculture & Forestry Development #01361 - Richmond (Public Relations & Marketing Specialist V, Pay Band 6) The Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Division of Marketing and Development is seeking a marketing and economic development professional to serve as the Manager in the Office of Agriculture and Forestry Development. The selected individual will oversee the work unit and staff that facilitate growth in the agriculture and forestry sector by recruiting new agribusinesses to Virginia, by identifying new income opportunities from the production and processing of agricultural products, and by helping the state’s existing agribusinesses expand and/or retain jobs and investments. This position also oversees the implementation of the Agriculture and Forestry Industries Development Fund and supervises the Farm Land Preservation and Century Farm programs.
- Considerable knowledge of marketing & economic development principles & practices and business attraction & expansion procedures as well as project management techniques, administrative & leadership principles, & supervisory practices.
- Ability to oversee complex marketing strategies; to manage multiple projects; to exercise independent judgement & sound decision making; to identify viable economic development opportunities; to independently provide advice through consultations, group presentations & written information.
- Demonstrated ability to execute the general administrative functions of a statewide program; to organize, direct & track the work of subordinate staff; to clearly communicate policies & ensure they are uniformly adopted & understood; to operate within established budgetary guidelines; and to plan, implement & evaluate program performance.
- Exceptional oral/written communication skills & computer proficiency.
- Current/recent experience at the managerial level in a similar position to include agriculture & economic development; program & project management; grant management; & supervising, evaluating, coaching subordinate staff.
- Must have & maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license with a driving record that reflects a sense of responsibility for highway safety as well as a H.S. Diploma/GED.
- Degree with major coursework in agriculture, marketing, economics, business administration, community planning or other related discipline.
- Also preferred is knowledge of Virginia’s agricultural commodities & related programs/services and familiarity with standard business processes of recruitment & selection.
- Understanding of government performance management, leave usage, finance & procurement systems.
Hiring Salary Range: $57,342 - $85,000 annually.
Final candidate must successfully complete a fingerprint-based criminal background check. In accordance with the Code of Virginia, incumbents of this position must complete a Statement of Economic Interests form upon hire and annually thereafter.
To be considered for this position, you must complete a state application through the on-line employment system at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/ by 11:59 p.m. EST/EDT on March 15, 2018. VDACS only accepts the state application; therefore the application must be detailed and fully completed. Resumes, cover letters, or any other types of attachment or supplement to the state application are not accepted. Not submitting a complete or detailed application may result in non-consideration.
For more information or assistance you may contact the Human Resources Office, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, 102 Governor Street, Room 248, Richmond, VA 23219; Telephone: (804) 371-8066; Hearing Impaired 1-800-828-1120; E-mail [email protected]. VDACS is an equal opportunity employer & encourages candidates with disabilities to apply.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job