Legal Assistant: DC Legal Team
National Democratic Institute
About the organization
Legal Assistant: DC Legal Team
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Legal Assistant to work in Washington, D.C., for NDI's DC-based Legal team. This position involves providing a range of administrative and logistical support to the Legal team, including processing and filing paperwork, updating NDI legal and registration documents, and maintaining a database of legal information on NDI offices. This position also involves coordinating with regional teams to update information regarding NDI offices and to prepare documents required for NDI operations overseas.
Under close supervision and guidance of NDI's Legal Counsel and/or Legal Compliance Manager, the Legal Assistant will perform the following duties:
• Maintaining a database containing country office registration details and other legal information, including leading outreach to regional teams on a biannual basis to gather information and preparing reports for senior management.
• Coordinating with regional teams to update post-classification and allowance determinations on a biannual basis.
• Assisting in processing legal paperwork, including processing invoices, filing and updating documentation, and helping coordinate transactions with other departments.
• Updating registration and governance-related documents, such as certificates of good standing and board resolutions.
• Conducting research and analysis on legal requirements in countries of NDI operations, generally related to employment law and registration of nonprofit organizations.
• Conducting other research and tasks, including administrative tasks, as requested by Legal Counsel.
• Bachelor's degree, additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a one-for one basis.
• Prior experience working in an office administration setting; prior experience working in a legal setting preferred but not required.
• Familiarity with NDI policies, procedures, and programs, a plus.
• Academic experience in legal studies is preferred but not required.
As a result of COVID19, this position will start in a remote capacity. However, when the office re-opens, the expectation is that you would be based locally to fulfill this obligation.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job