Legal Administrative Specialist
Veterans Benefits Administration
About the organization
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) is an agency of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. It is responsible for administering the Department's programs that provide financial and other forms of assistance to veterans, their dependents, and survivors. Major benefits include Veterans' compensation, Veterans' pension, survivors' benefits, rehabilitation and employment assistance, education assistance, home loan guaranties, and life insurance coverage.
The National Call Center (NCC) was established to centralize VBA's contact center activity in order to yield greater consistency and higher quality in the service provided by customer contact employees. This Legal Administrative Specialist position is located in the National Call Center, of the VA Regional Office, for the Veterans Benefits Administration based in Salt Lake City, UT.
The Legal Administrative Specialist has telephone contact with the public for the purpose of advising and providing information on Veterans benefits and their rights. This call center position offers the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment where no two days are the same. The incumbent will complete work using phone and computer equipment handling calls on a daily basis. This position requires talking for long periods of time on the phone. Extensive use of a computer and telephone with headset is required. The Legal Administrative Specialist provides superior customer service to our Nation's Veterans and their families. Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Counseling veterans, their dependents, and their beneficiaries via telephone regarding the full array of benefits available through the VA, as well as non-VA benefits available through other organizations concerned with veterans.
- Explaining the types of documents necessary to facilitate timely processing of claims and providing assistance in obtaining and completing such documents and forms in accordance with the type of claim being submitted.
- Explaining decisions and reasons for the decisions made by the VA and communicating the information both orally and in writing.
- Performing claim-related work such as change of address, direct deposits, burial allowance claims, dependency claims, etc.
- Initiating inquiries to resolve errors, delays, or other problems in obtaining benefits.
To qualify for this position you must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 12/26/2019.
1. Time-In-Grade Requirement:
There is no Time-In-Grade Requirements for the GS-05.
For the GS-07 position, you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05.
2. Specialized Experience Requirement:
- Applicants must have three years of General Experience, one year of which was equivalent to the GS-4 level. OR
- A Bachelor's degree (in any field) or four (4) years of education above high school OR
- Applicants may qualify with a combination of specialized experience and which totals at least one year.
- Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of progression in the organization. OR
- Applicants may substitute education for the experience. One full year of graduate level education; OR a bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement. Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) is based on: 1) class standing, 2) grade point average or 3) honor society membership. OR
- Applicants may qualify with a combination of specialized experience and GRADUATE education as described above which totals at least one year.
$35,265 to $56,790 per year / $16.90 to $27.21 per hour
Contact email: [email protected]
For further clarification please see the job announcement at USA Jobs: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603392000
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job