Land & Recreation Manager
Placer Land Trust
About the organization
Placer Land Trust (PLT) is an accredited land trust and nonprofit organization that works with willing landowners and conservation partners to permanently protect natural and agricultural lands in Placer County for current and future generations.
Since 1991 PLT has protected over 11,000 acres of land that supports clean water, wildlife and species habitat, locally grown food, recreational opportunities, and special places to make memories. PLT is located in Auburn, California.
The Land & Recreation Manager will be responsible for: 1) land management and monitoring of certain PLT properties/preserves; and 2) developing and supporting public recreation and land access programs on certain PLT properties/preserves.
This position entails significant leadership and responsibility, assisting PLT Directors in meeting critical stewardship needs and setting and achieving expanding recreation goals. The Land & Recreation Manager will work primarily with PLT’s 5-person Lands Team and will be supervised by the Conservation Director.
Primary responsibilities are ensuring PLT’s protected lands are permanently managed according to contractual and legal obligations, including monitoring and ensuring adherence to management plans, maintaining stakeholder relations, coordinating with land-lease tenants, and implementing habitat restoration/enhancement projects; leading PLT’s recreation and public access programming; and providing a positive and engaged leadership and support role on the Lands Team.
For a complete description please see the position announcement.
Essential Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated commitment to conservation and ecological-based land stewardship
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ecology, Biology, Conservation, Environmental Science/ Policy, Rangeland Management, Outdoor Recreation, or similar field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in land use and natural resources management
- Practical knowledge of conservation ecology and on-the-ground land management, including protecting/ promoting habitat quality, managing livestock grazing, managing fire/fuel loads, developing/maintaining trail systems
- Demonstrated understanding of monitoring protocols and data review
- Demonstrated ability to manage and complete multiple projects on schedule, including managing people, contracts, budgets, schedules, workflow, and tracking outcomes
- Experience with outdoor recreation planning and management, including development of trails, parking, signage and other visitor amenities
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal, interpersonal, written); ability to work with diverse groups/partners in a variety of settings; comfortable managing conflict
- Demonstrated independent initiative with identifying needs and managing projects
- Team player with strong diplomacy, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Good physical condition; able and willing to work and hike in challenging conditions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to occasionally work weekends and evenings
- Valid driver's license
$55,000-$70,000, based on skills and experience
Contact email: [email protected]
Send cover letter and resume by October 22, 2019, to [email protected] with “Land & Recreation Manager Position” in subject line, addressed to Eden Rock, Operations Director.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job