Lab Technician I
Alexandria Renew Enterprises
About the organization
Alexandria Renew Enterprises is one of the most advanced water resource recovery public utilities in the United States. We clean dirty water to protect our community and the environment. When dirty water flows from your home or business, we get to work turning it into sparkling, clean water.
The Lab Technician I is responsible for conducting chemical, physical, and microbiological laboratory tests of solids and liquids for purposes such as quality control, maintenance of environmental standards, and other work involving experimental, theoretical, or practical application of chemistry and sciences following laboratory quality system. Work is performed individually and in a team environment.
• Monitor process quality to ensure compliance with VPDES and VELAP standards and plant performance specifications.
• Perform laboratory tests required by the VPDES operating permits and regulatory agencies addressing a variety of wet chemical, microscopic and bacterial tests.
• Collects, analyzes and reports data from samples originating from various process points of the treatment plant, may also collect samples from various locations in a valid manner consistent with good laboratory practice
• Assists in the development of laboratory protocols, preparing standards and reagents
• Performs general lab maintenance to assure quality of laboratory environment and equipment.
• Assures analytical balances and accuracy of daily log entries and report documentation.
• Performs lab equipment calibration.
• Clean laboratory equipment, including washing analytical glassware and sample collection jugs; and prepare for procedures.
• Performs routine laboratory housekeeping daily.
• Conducts materials inventory and maintain supplies.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology or Environmental Science preferred.
• Two (2) years professional laboratory experience or combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of microorganisms, their functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
• Knowledge of laboratory instrumentation to include the range, use, repair, calibration, and maintenance.
• Knowledge of quality control, costs, requirements and the environmental impact of chemicals and supplies used in the laboratory.
• Knowledge of the MS Office Suite and LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System).
• Ability to conduct tests to evaluate quality and performance, complete measurements and analysis.
• Ability to monitor gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
• Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Ability to anticipate laboratory needs to ensure good quality control measures are met.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently or as a team member to meet desired outcomes.
• Ability to handle a fast-paced environment, and be flexible and adaptable.
• Self-motivated, ambitious, hardworking, detail-oriented, proactive, adaptable and highly efficient and able to work independently with an eye for attention to detail.
• Ability to work after hours and on weekends, as needed.
Contact email: [email protected]
please send resume to contact email
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply