Just and Inclusive Society Project Assistant
About the organization
Democracy Fund invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $100 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar founded Democracy Fund. Incubated in the Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C.
Democracy Fund is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Project Assistant to support the work of the Associate Director of the Just and Inclusive Society (JIS) project for a period of one year.
The hypothesis that lies behind the JIS project is that with diverse organizations and communities working together for a common good, we can create safe and secure communities, decrease polarization, develop a shared sense of national identity, and make space to defend constitutional norms under attack.
This new position provides a unique opportunity for a detailed and creative thinker committed to improving our democracy to support a growing organization. As an organization that works with people, grantees and institutions that span the entire political spectrum, the willingness and ability to work well across the aisle is essential.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in civil and human rights, legal issues, community empowerment, and cross sector and partisan engagement. They will work closely with the Associate Director to support and guide Democracy Fund by taking on a wide range of substantive and administrative tasks. The Project Assistant also will support the work of Democracy Fund Voice, a separate social welfare organization.
View primary responsibilities here: https://democracyfund.applytojob.com/apply/aIKorKmeFP/Just-And-Inclusive-Society-Project-Assistant
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred, with at least 2 years of related work or equivalent experience. Legal or similar studies and experience is a plus. -
- Interest in advocacy, with focus on protecting and advancing civil rights and civil liberties.
- Proven analytical and research skills.
- An outstanding work ethic, self starter, dependable, responsible, with a creative and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Willingness to work with leaders, advocates, and media from across the political spectrum.
- A learning mindset, self and other-awareness, and success in developing and sustaining interpersonal relationships across difference.
- Operationally focused with strong organizational and execution skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly and work calmly and maintain good judgment in a fast-paced environment and not stymied by ambiguity.
- Confident, diplomatic, oral communicator with exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Skilled in proactively handling multiple assignments simultaneously with a sense of urgency, prioritizing tasks and meeting deadlines to deliver high quality results.
- Works well both independently and as part of a team.
- A sense of humor.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and comfort with online tools for project and contact management.
- One year term position, 40 hours/week.
- Based in Washington, D.C.
Contact email: [email protected]
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job