Junior Solid Waste Engineer
CNMI Office of Planning and Development
About the organization
Established 2017 by Public Law 20-20, the CNMI Office of Planning and Development (OPD) provides short- and long-term guidance on al economic, infrastructure, and physical development of the CNMI. OPD assist other local agencies in planning in order to harmonize, improve, and assist in implementation comprehensive planning activities at all levels of government.
The Solid Waste Engineer will act as the project engineer for the Solid Waste Division for the
Department of Public Works.
• Assists the Solid Waste Engineer (Senior) in the review of PS&E and all field works requiring
• Coordinates with USEPA and BECQ on the compliance requirements for all solid waste activities,
specifically, the Marpi Landfill and the Transfer Stations;
• Reviews compliance issues; review permits, update plans and standard operating procedures; •
Provide assistance with planning, quality assurance, safety inspection protocols, and participate in
proposal evaluations for planning and engineering services;
• Drafts scope of work, budget and timeline for proposed plans with support from Senior Engineer as needed;
• Attends progress design and construction meetings with vendors;
• Prepares reports for submission to grantors, regulatory agencies including USEPA & BECQ and for the Department;
• Coordinates engineering project development and design review with the islands of Tinian and Rota on solid waste activities.
Recommended qualifications and skills include:
• Bachelor of Science or higher in civil or environmental engineering from an ABET accredited
school preferably with emphasis in Solid Waste Management.
• At least 3-5 years work experience in Public Works Solid Waste Management or private
• Knowledgeable in the regulatory requirements for solid waste, particularly with transfer stations
and landfill operations.
• Knowledgeable in zero waste technologies or methods of waste reduction such as Waste to
Energy or Zero Waste
• Knowledgeable with the Smart Safe Growth concept.
• Professional license not required but preferable.
Strong Written and Oral Communication Skills, as well as organization, time management, and critical thinking, supported by excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications of the appointee.
Contact email: [email protected]
Please email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter, CV or resume, names and contact information for three references, and a copy of terminal degree OR unofficial transcripts to Kodep Ogumoro-Uludong, OPD Director ([email protected]), cc Erin Derrington ([email protected]). Alternatively, hard copies of all documents can be sent to Kodep Ogumoro-Uludong, Director, Office of Planning and Development, Caller Box 10007, Saipan, MP 96950.
For questions or clarifications, please contact Erin Derrington ([email protected])
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job