Houston Adult Literacy VISTA Leader
About the organization
As a VISTA Leader, you will serve at The Alliance, a leading nonprofit organization comprised of an amazing team that hails from 26 countries and speaks over 20 languages. The Alliance welcomes and empowers refugees, immigrants, and underserved residents who face financial, educational, health, language, or cultural barriers to realizing their dreams. To help clients overcome those barriers, The Alliance provides holistic services including youth empowerment, intensive case management, adult education, workforce training and development, and financial coaching.
Take this opportunity to mentor, train, and lead a team of VISTA members. As a VISTA Leader, you will implement best practices for VISTA member outreach, recruitment, engagement, and retention as well as programmatic support. The VISTA Leader will also assist with ongoing program monitoring and reporting, working to identify and coordinate professional development opportunities, training, and resources for VISTAs, as well as develop and implement plans to increase awareness for the Houston Adult Literacy Program through marketing and social media content.
The applicant must be eligible to become an AmeriCorps VISTA Leader. The AmeriCorps VISTA Leader position is open to members who have successfully completed at least one year of full-time service with AmeriCorps or Peace Corps.
• Ability to work well collaboratively with a team
• Attention to detail
• Good organization and time management skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects at once
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Experience with or interest in serving multicultural community members
• demonstrates exemplary skills and leadership in community service may become a VISTA Leader
• ability to effectively provide guidance, support, and feedback to others
• Experience in event planning or volunteer management
• Basic computer skills required, including proficiency in Google suite
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
$667.52 every two weeks
Contact email: [email protected]
• Choice of Education Award or End of Service Award upon successful completion of service
• Relocation Allowance if you qualify
• Health Coverage
• Living Allowance
• Possible forbearance or deferment of qualified student loans
• Child Care benefits if you qualify
• Noncompetitive eligibility status for federal employment for one year after successful completion
• Professional Training
• Permits attendance at school during off hours
• Permits working at another job during off hours
For details about AmeriCorps benefits, please visit https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers/vista/benefits
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job