Home Preservation Inspector
Habitat for Humanity East Bay / Silicon Valley
About the organization
Habitat East Bay/Silicon Valley Mission Statement:
Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope. Our vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
The Home Preservation Inspector visits owner-occupied homes within our service area and works with low-income homeowners, most of them seniors, to identify critical health and safety needs and desired repairs and improvements. The inspector develops project scopes of work and estimates, and monitors construction to ensure compliance with relevant program guidelines, city and state codes and ordinances, and technical standards for workmanship and safety.
Essential Functions of Position:
• Perform initial inspections to determine work scopes and estimated budgets.
• Identify and communicate observations unrelated to construction that could indicate the residents’ need for additional support or referrals to other social services.
• Perform monitoring inspections to ensure satisfactory completion of work and for compliance with local and State health, safety, and building codes and relevant laws and requirements and submit invoice payment recommendations.
• Create inspection reports that clearly and accurately document specific information pertaining to each residence.
• Prepare and distribute bid packages.
• Initiate change orders as needed.
• Respond to all communication from parties in a timely manner to address issues and complete the work.
• Attend regularly scheduled team meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Commitment to the HEBSV mission to build and preserve low-cost housing.
• Knowledge of residential home systems and components
• Understanding of residential construction methods
• Two-plus years relevant experience in the residential construction field ideally renovation/rehabilitation/repair
• Solid organizational skills
• Computer literate with basic Microsoft Word and Excel experience
• Good written communication skills and comfortable with customer service
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and insurance
• Comfortable working with diverse populations from a variety of ethnic, socio-economic and living situations
Interested candidates must submit both a cover letter and resume to Lucinda Lee O’Sullivan, Director of HR & Operations at [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?