The Parks Project
About the organization
History Researchers with the Parks Foundation are vital volunteers that research and write information on the Truckee Meadows' parks and local history. Their work is published online as part of the Parks Foundation's Parks Project, a free community resource detailing the Truckee Meadows' parks, history, and biodiversity. History Researchers are asked to volunteer at least 3 hours of their time each month, with specific deadlines and commitments flexible from person-to-person
The Parks Project serves as a comprehensive online directory of Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County Parks and a resource to explore the history and biodiversity that call those parks home.
❖ Inform community members of park amenities, unique histories, and biodiversity
specific to each park in the Truckee Meadows.
❖ Inspire a sense of wonder and awe in the biodiversity and shared history found in
❖ Encourage the ongoing preservation of our parks by providing accessible
resources that promote a communal sense of responsibility and highlight
We are looking for volunteers who:
● Are self-driven
● Are passionate about Reno’s parks, trails, and open spaces
● Have an interest and/or background in local history
● Are effective communicators
● Are looking to develop professional skills
We are looking for volunteers who possess or have the passion to improve the following
● Ability to be a storyteller- don’t just state the facts, tell us the story!
● Ability to write in a style that aligns with the organization’s voice
● Ability to research local history using approved web sources, interviews, and local
● Ability to cite sources in accordance with organization’s policy
Benefits of volunteering for the Parks Project:
● Development of professional skills and experience that will enhance an application or
● Flexible time commitment and schedule
● Ability to volunteer remotely (Covid safe)
● Develop a deeper appreciation and understanding of Reno’s parks and local history
● Build and/or hone historical research and writing skills
● Contribute to a free community resource that makes a difference
Contact email: [email protected]
For more information or to get started, contact Spencer Cox at [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job